A slow project...

I have plans for a single track analogue Thomas loop to go round the room in our new house that we're hoping to move into in Febuary-March time. We'll keep our normal layout, but this will be a Thomas-themed one. My idea is to have it based on various locations from Thomas's branchline. I chose this as my basis because there's much more photos and illustrations of this than Duck's or Edward's and I didn't want to have the main line as it would mean double track and more expensive engines.

So far, the locations I'm intending to model are 'the post windmill' as seen in the opening titles, Mrs Kyndley's cottage, the road over rail bridge and signal box again in the opening titles, Elsbridge river bridge and Elsbridge/Knapford station.

In the books, Elsbridge is a small through station, but in the TV series it's a four-platform junction, seemingly based off Knapford station from the books. However in the TV series, Knapford is a huge canopied station. As I'm happy switching between and combining elements from the books and TV series, the station I'll model could be the TV series verision of Elsbridge or Knapford junction from the books whenever I fell like it.

This limits the number of Thomas locos I can get, as only four permanently work on Thomas's branch. I already have a Hornby Percy and trucks, but when Bachmann's UK range becomes available I'll get Thomas and Annie and Clarabel, no need for an expensive Gordon or Henry. Has anyone got any idea when the Bachmann range will be out?

I didn't know that. I don't any cureved point at present, but if I do in the future and decide to change my layout, I will remember that. All of my track at present is PECO track anyway, apart from the diamond crossing, which is a Hornby piece. The PECO version was just slightly too long and wouldn't fit. I like to keep all of my track to the same manufactuer, if I can.

GNR-Gordon-4 (HF)

• 3 months later...

Project update:

The room I'm planning to put this in is now fully painted. Looking forward to setting up the boards in coming months. Another part of the layout not shown on the track plan I posted earlier is the plan for a triangle off the top left hand corner. Ideally I'd like it to split just before the curved points and join up with the straight bit at the top off to the left of the diagram. Any suggestions for triangles using Hornby set track or would flexi track be easier? Preferably no tighter than 2nd rad, but only planning to run max 0-6-0s on this, so could be tighter if need be.

We have a triangle on our existing layout, but every side to that is curved and on this one, one is straight. I've tried FreeTrackPlans, but can't see anything obvious to go off, anyone know of any plans that include a very small triangle?

Thanks for any suggestions :-)

As your plan is analogue powered you will likely need a reversing switch arrangement for your proposed triangle, which is effectively a reversing loop, i.e. a loco going in from one direction can eventually reappear going in the other direction.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Well I said it was going to take a while...

Anyway, here are some updates:

I've done a bit of scratch-building and kit-bashing to create a water tower and a footbridge.

For the water tower, I've used a temporary cover from the sprinkler system in our new house, an offcut of copper pipe, an empty Humbrol paint tin and an offcut of live wire. I haven't done much scratch building before, but all in all I'm pretty pleased with the results. The Humbrol spray paint is really easy to use and gets good results, love it! It's based on the water towers you see on the Thomas and Friends TV series. Although a tad out of scale, it does the job.

/media/tinymce_upload/5088b879808dbeec7e33c0d2c0fd905b.jpg

For the footbridge, I used some Airfix kits from the '70s, two of which were built and had fallen apart over the years, and one was an unbuilt kit. I intended to base it on the bridge seen at Elsbridge station, which comes down from the high-level station building onto the platforms, seen here:

https://ttte.fandom.com/wiki/Elsbridge/Gallery?file=TheFlyingKipper56.png

In order to get the correct height, I had to chop and glue the supports to be three X panels high on one support. The differences with my version are that the steps on the near end go down in two stages, as per the original Airfix kits, and for extra detail, I've added some advertisments, including a Dalby-esque nod to the Railway Series itself.

Unpainted model, showing the faded old kits and the unbuilt parts in light grey:

/media/tinymce_upload/8d23be5e23f4b7ed97d97aad173046af.jpg

Painted bridge:

/media/tinymce_upload/d0d089d983c597c6def430b377972289.jpg

With signs that I printed out and glued on:

/media/tinymce_upload/4b5836c8eef9c81665cd8833f88d11ff.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/2a4a6cc76bda44c26e4f6877eeec4ba9.jpg