Coach Lighting Accessories

zzpjl8

Hi,

Would be great to have a pack from Hornby to add lighting to Mark 2 and Mark 3 coaches. Pack to include pick ups for wheels, LED lighting unit (soft lighting not bright white), and availale in 2 different lengths to correctly illuminate full length of Mk 3s.

Might even need to be a replacement bogie so pre wired.

Hi Nick, have a look on the internet for alternatives. There are many suppliers of kits to do this. I use one system that is battery operated and utilises a magnet to activate a reed switch to turn the lights on and off. I have also made my own system in the past but I did struggle to find latching reed switches - so those coaches are  permanently lit when the track in energised. R-

The problem is Nick that Hornby marketing do not consider anything that actually needs some modelling skills and/or soldering. In the Hornby marketing world, everything electrical has to be based upon plugging in and sockets when it comes to wiring things up. The evidence for this is everywhere in the Hornby product literature, when you look at the products that are available.

Trawl service sheets where available for the part numbers of the various bits. The usual spares suppliers can often come up trumps for these parts. For pickups and programmable lighting bars there is also the ESU Coach Lighting section of their web site.

I picked up several (Hornby) lighting bars from my local shop ‘scrap’ box and use them as indicators on my test board in lieu of proper signal lamps as my leds and breadboard, etc are still packed away somewhere.

/media/tinymce_upload/c2f8d0703f0de80e3d166a6578227ab0.JPG

• 2 years later...
Check out R7338 Maglight, which contains a light strip, magnetic on/off switch and battery for the coach and a lineside magnet to activate the switch.

Thanks GS . got the kit with lights and battery but no line side magnet ?

In the website illustration, I had assumed the magnet was in the red box, the other component being the light strip and battery connected to the reed switch. The R7338 carton states: "Magnet block included to activate the lights." If your magnet is missing, take it up with the seller.