The Bear

Ernie201

How very odd. Not heard of or seen a Bear locomotive like that. You will have to upload an image next weekend, but will have to wait until the following week for the image to be approved. I really want to see this now.

To upload an image, find the reply box and click on the black and white icon of what appears to be a 'hill' in a black outlined box, to the left of the yellow smiley face.

GNR-Gordon-4 (HF)

I would have suggested the eyes have fallen out and the headcode is showing through but the eyes are not separate nor do they line up with the headcode so the only logical explanation is someone has rubbed the eyes out and stuck the letter/number over them.

There's a face at one and the headcode at the rear. I very much doubt there's a headcode behind Bear's face on the Hornby model. Somebody may have modified Ernie201's model, or it could be a factory error.

The eyes couldn't fall out, as they are painted or printed on.

By the way, how does sawing wood calm you down from a lot of excitement?!  😆  😉  😀

GNR-Gordon-4 (HF)

How very odd. Not heard of or seen a Bear locomotive like that. You will have to upload an image next weekend, but will have to wait until the following week for the image to be approved. I really want to see this now.

To upload an image, find the reply box and click on the black and white icon of what appears to be a 'hill' in a black outlined box, to the left of the yellow smiley face.

GNR-Gordon-4 (HF)

@Ernie201

I cannot share you my email address here on the forum, as that's against the rules. However, there's no need to, as the image has been uploaded successfully and has now been approved by the temporary Administrator.

So the face is there, along with the nose, but the letters 'A' and 'T' are not original. Somebody has either rubbed Bear's eyes and mouth out, or painted over them. This is not original, nor is it a factory error, I am afraid.

GNR-Gordon-4 (HF)

Hi NNR-Gordon-4

I disagree the A and 7 have not been applied after eyes and mouth rubbed out as they are inset into the "face". Either way I am obviously not going to sell or the like due to its rarety.

Is there anyone else that has come across this or is it a total one off. If that is the case then maybe a home made but I must say it is a fantastic job and totally unique. The only thing that is also different is that the window surround is white rather than yellow on the bear model. I have both so I have compared them with great detail.

I agree with you, Brian (walkingthedog). Hornby Hobbies have made some models with factory errors, but this one does not look like a factory error. It really does look like a homemade job.

If I find anymore Hornby Bear's with the same error, then it may be an original factory error. Granted, this is the first one I have seen like this, but it really does look like a homemade job to myself.

GNR-Gordon-4 (HF)