Zulu war

Has any body heard of the mike french range I'm watching some rorkes drift figures on flea bay witch I consder priceat £43 each a set which I would like would therefore be over £500 on plastics alone before I start the buying of these witch I will spread over some time has any one built them they advised as former mike french who means nothing to me any feed back aprehsiated you can't be to safe on flea bay 

Has any body heard of the Mike French  range I'm watching some rorkes drift figures on flea bay witch I consider pricey@ £43 each.A set which I would like to complete all would therefore be over £500 on plastics alone,before I start the buying of these witch I will spread over some time has any one built them they advertised as former Mike French range who means nothing to me any feed back aprehsiated you can't be to safe on flea bay!!

for ratch

• 1 month later...

I'll assume you're looking at larger scale old fashions pieces.

if you're looking for 1/72 scale plastic i'd suggest looking a hAT- I feel it's safe to recommend that as Airfix never got into victorian era troops. hAT has very good 1879 era sets

ill take a look but would prefer a lager scale thanks for reply

Well, genuine Mike French has a well deserved reputation, but "fleabay" could be unlicenced kock off recasts. Caveat emptor!

i do intend to buy one of all they make but the £43 including p&p has put them lower on my list as I'm buying 2/3 models a week at the min trying to amass a ww2 stash at times I can get 2-3 1/48 tools for the same price 

• 3 weeks later...

I used to do a lot of 1/16 resin figures and £38 for a good original was about the going rate 10 years ago (Verlinden's were about half that). Even a "small" diorama in that scale is A4-A3 sized base and the cost can get crazy very quickly. Given the 403 error thing I can't share links but if you google "precision-panzer" you'll find my old website. Figures in that scale can be airbrushed quite well. 

I couldn't afford to keep what I modelled and sold most of the large scale stuff to keep fresh kits coming. A lot of the projects were sold through a Hong Kong intermediatry (who probably took the majority of the cash) and used in some of those low rent "Giant Killer Nazi Super tanks" things on the "history" channel (I use the term history lightly). At the time it was cheaper to take a model and add CGI than to CGI the entire thing so there was a lot of demand for the models as props. If you ever see a Tiger 1 with the 2nd SS rune upside down that was one of mine! 

I used to do a lot of 1/16 resin figures and £38 for a good original was about the going rate 10 years ago (Verlinden's were about half that). Even a "small" diorama in that scale is A4-A3 sized base and the cost can get crazy very quickly. Given the 403 error thing I can't share links but if you google "precision-panzer" you'll find my old website. Figures in that scale can be airbrushed quite well. 

I couldn't afford to keep what I modelled and sold most of the large scale stuff to keep fresh kits coming. A lot of the projects were sold through a Hong Kong intermediatry (who probably took the majority of the cash) and used in some of those low rent "Giant Killer Nazi Super tanks" things on the "history" channel (I use the term history lightly). At the time it was cheaper to take a model and add CGI than to CGI the entire thing so there was a lot of demand for the models as props. If you ever see a Tiger 1 with the 2nd SS rune upside down that was one of mine! 

Just had a look Pete belting stuff on your site nice work

Thanks! Thats a few years ago now. I ended up getting very sick of modelling (dealing with customers and making models to their spec in a few weeks turned into a second job... Fedex to the US for these could be over £100 and the customs forms were a pain too). I literally didn't model for two years then went back to where I started as a kid - 1/72 planes. Turning a hobby into a business can bite you back. It did generate a decent income for a time though.

I've kept the website going because its a good collection of pics. 1/16 is so big I could never really keep much that I built.

• 2 months later...

I've got two sets of Zulus - one for Rork's Drift and the other for Ulundi. I've also got a set of British infantry for Rork's Drift. They are all 1/32 scale and from a company called 'A call to Arms'.

Here are attached images of them:.

/media/tinymce_upload/98a7bc041261bff4ea88c7d8d60554af.jpg/media/tinymce_upload/8fe875089434fa80cabf94e113304180.jpg/media/tinymce_upload/2126de6fc41e5e703e0b882a8d1a2ff9.jpg/media/tinymce_upload/5e021d9b63f36fafe01e94c8e2751aba.jpg/media/tinymce_upload/2150a39334e8d47c1cfb1ffaddfc7653.jpg

• 1 month later...

Got me hands on 3 of these "former mike french " range of 1/16 figure,private hook leuitenant chard and gonvill bromhead.

On first inspection they look superb loads of detail good quality resin.All have a nice detailed base as well.I was  pleasantly suprised to see metal parts namely the majestic.45 martini Henry bayonet and belts sabres an scabbards.

Only negative I can see there's quite a bit of resin to cut away on quite a few pieces from over spill out of the moulds so I've just purchased a tamiya saw to see if that will cut it off .

• 3 weeks later...

could any one offer any advise on the correct colour for the 24 foot uniform, as far as I can assertain 

the tunic is scarlett excluding piping 

trousers Prussian blue although in unsure 

cuffs/regiment insignia dark green/German dark green

boots black