Crash barrier track fixing

LesD

Thanks.

perhaps Scalextric should go back to the white rails we had in the 1960's when they clipped under the edge of he track and then a tab that sat on the top. Very secure.

I guard rails that clipped on completely with your thoughts on this. More so EVERY SET should at minimum have the old style white guard rails iin the set when the new owner opens the set. There is not excuse including price sensitivity/cost/add on sales for ruining that first days use of a new Scalextric set with what I hear as the number one complaint "cars keep falling of in the corners"!

Scalextric can get add on sales for borders in the expansion packs (which should be reformulated so when you buy curves you also get borders (that are desiged to stay on even when you setup a layout with an overpass). 

It's not very comforting for a parent to have to think, they need to duct tape or glue a guard rail clip onto their childs brand new slot car set. 

Anyhow this is one of my biggest problems with getting people into Scalextric's world class products. Make that initial out of box experience so great the consumer can't help but want to expand their trouble free slot car track...

Most people use duct tape or Blue Tak (other brands are available).

If it is semi-permanent you can use hot glue.

Andy, that is an ok solution assuming someone want to look at their new slot car track with duct tape and glue holding it together. Would be better to include the old school guard rails and then let the consumers work out a layout where there are left and right turns so ridng the rails in a bit more equal. 

/media/tinymce_upload/550c5bbb1bc16408bec528cbdb2c7f56.JPGI have railed (pun not intended on this subject many times after getting questions from new set owners where the number one concern is "cars keep falling off the track". I really don't like having to tell some parent who just wanted to get their child a slot car track, they now need to get some duct tape, blue tack or purchase a hot glue gun to get the guard rail to stay on the curves. That of course assumes they were receptive to going out and spending US $60-$100 on guardrails. I just spent this week discussing this with serveral advance slot car enthusiast and we all came to the conclusion every set should at least have old school guard rail. Sure the out lane can "ride the rails". But a layout with a figure of 8 or both left and right turns can help this. Or analog sets with X (criss cross) tracks place in the right place can even this out. IMHO this is a real hinderance to new slot car set purchasers have a fantastic out of box experience. 

Andy P I know you are not the guy in charge but someone at Scalextric needs to go look at an HO set. LIke AFx. every curve in the set has a corresponding guard rail. Maybe it's also time for scalextric to redesign the aprons so they stay on in inclines? 

PS.  The photo shows how I put underlayment under all my elevations so the borders don't fall off. but as you say it's a semi permanent solution. Also of not I've purchased and given away a number of sets from the International GT set, App Race Control, Sunset Speedway, and serveral others. I personal inventory I own Pro Platinum GT (arc pro), Digital Platinum, Sunset Speedway, 24H Leman digittal, and others. I figured when offering such suggestions then I'd just show I do a bit of skin in the game.

The question was specifically about elevated sections I thought.

On a flat track the current setup should work just fine.

Personally I agree that sets should have borders and barriers as part of the package so feel free to contact Scalextric Customer Care at the right and tell them!

Juyt FYI: I do this completely on a voluntary basis and have no connection to Hornby. I get a teeny tiny bit of info up front once or twice a year but in general I don't have more insight into the inner workings more than any of you do.

To your point:

If you don't tell them directly they will never know. There are lots of channels available to you, social media, e-mail, the form at the right, call them, write a postal letter...

People spend a lot of time posting things hoping to get a response but that is like going out in the woods and talking to the trees. They hear you, but there is little they can do about it.

I am not being (very) flippant in fact I appreciate the passion people bring in to certain topics and it is vital for a company like Hornby to understand.

I am only asking to channel it to where it will make the greatest impact.

One small thing about your 60-100 of your favorite currency for borders: The great thing about Sport track is that there are so many options in that SCX, NINCO, Catronic and other brands borders and rails all work on the track. I have SCX borders all around my set up and NINCO walls where things can get hairy. So while I agree that they should be included you can get a decent set for very little money pretty much anywhere in the world, much like in the H0 world where track is also nearly always the same height/thickness.

• 1 month later...

In fact the issue I was worried about was in respect of elevated sections of track but I was able to use the fixing clips at the "away" from the track edge setting, which is much more secure fit. 

As you say, no issues with the track flat on the table.

• 1 month later...