Sir Topham Hat

ChrisBWC

Not sure if there was a specific OO scale Fat Controller ever produced by Hornby or Bachmann, but the Dapol workmen kit includes a figure that would be suitable. I have this pack and although I haven't painted any of them to look like the Fat Controller, I did do the 5th and 7th Doctors from Doctor Who.

Only problem with this pack is it comes with a whole load of other figures too, so up to you if you want all these as well as just one Fat Controller. There are three of each pose.

Hi ChrisBeadling

You have a real problem there Sir Toppem Hat is only about 4'6" tall

I have not found a realistic figure or even a toy figure that would be suitable for Sir Toppem Hat and I have looked.

3D scanning and printing would be an option if you know some one short enough and rotund enough to play the part.

regards John

• 4 weeks later...

Back in the 1980s, on the rear of some of 'The World of Thomas the Tank Engine' branded boxes, it mentions 'R.245 Fat Controller, Driver and Fireman'. However, this was cancelled and never released. With so many laws on toys being safe for children, I very much doubt there will ever be a 1:76 scale figure released. The Bachmann Trains version is the best, but that appears to be a better scale match to the G gauge range. This figure along with the Conductor figure, are very similar to the ERTL releases, but made of plastic instead of diecast metal.

GNR-Gordon-4 (HF)

Anything is possible nowadays - there are certainly two companies offering 1/76 figures using 3D printing, who will actually recreate anyone.  There are models available of TV and Youtube presenters. If you go to some model railway exhibitions (when they are next able to operate), some of these companies will create a 3D model of you and whatever you are wearing - so go to one of these shows in top hat and tails, with a cushion inside your waistcoat - and you have your "fat-controller" - looking like you. You can obtain all the presenters of the Great Model Railway Challenge in 1/76th scale - so the choice is endless 😀

https://www.modelu3d.co.uk/product-category/finescale-figures/collaborations/

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

You could always send an email to both Modelu and Hardys Hobbies who produce 3D figures and see if they have/knew someone who was the right shape (small portly) and who could be dressed in top hat and tails and then 3D'd. They are adding to their range all the time and do "3D" people at some model railway exhibitions.

• 1 month later...

Hi Chris, may I suggest when you are searching for the figure you require, the correct spelling of his name is Hatt, if you search both spellings on ebay several are available with the correct surname. The only one representation of Sir Topham Hatt Hornby produced was a cardboard cutout in the early train sets.

Bachmann at the moment have a model in their range but vastly out of 00 scale as it is 75 mm tall, 3 inches.

The best I could find when I was looking years ago was Ertl Sir Topham Hatt. It was available on a card with a porter or with his wife, also as a solo wind up version.It is still out of 00 gauge as it is 60 mm high, but it was made out of diescast and was well painted.

Pictures below to show my example and scale as to compare with Hornby Thomas.

forum_image_61d44d3c7538d.thumb.png.d49aafc1ce6ba2a6d578de98bbc8c500.png

forum_image_61d44d4562867.thumb.png.3b58a721e8b0cd1e568c89d3f7f7dc5f.png

forum_image_61d44d5023ffc.thumb.png.9c3c48cca5348663ed670d6a965bf284.png