Locomotion No1

ianmax69

With the 200th Anniversary of the Stockton & Darlington Railway coming up in 2025 and with the tiny motors Hornby have manufactured for George Stephenson's "Rocket" would it not be economically viable to make a nice 00 RTR version of George Stephenson's other famous North Eastern Locomotive "Locomotion No1" along with its small tender?? Surely this would be a great match to sit alongside Rocket.. Of course standard tension lock couplings would be a bit of a problem but Hornby designers have overcome this before... With a rake of Georgian short wheelbase coal trucks to pull along with the open passenger wagons Hornby currently make.. Of course the Stockton and Darlington only took passengers on Saturday originally.. the money was in shifting coal "Passengers on Railways? What an obsurd idea!" the owners said.. The rest was history... 

/media/tinymce_upload/612828d22d97f027c999c239e1e621ef.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/d8824f000cf5705e21876c06dfe338ec.jpg

The original is still in Darlington and a working replica is currently have its boiler ovehalled in time for the 200th Anniversary Hornby please celebrate ths with a running model...

• Thanks 1

Early locomotives and short trains of four wheelers certainly fit in well with railway modelling, far better than hulking great Pacifics. You get 'more bang for your buck'. I well recall articles about models of early trains and locomotives by the late Mike Sharman which featured some of his models of the weird and wonderful creations from those early days. 

As a starter why not the Liverpool and Manchester 'Lion' which was the star of that delightful comedy "The Ti tfield Thunderbolt". 

The goods trucks of the period were quite a merry bunch too. The old Chaldron coal wagon with inside axles and dumb buffers which would be a good accompanyment to Locomotion No 1, is a 'must'!

• 1 month later...
Didn't Kays make a model of Lion? Someone in the past obviously thought it was worth making. A genunite Titfield Thunderbolt set could then be made with the 14xx added for good measure. 

?????? - I responded to this earlier, and it got deleted because I used Banned Words ?? It would have been nice to know what was wrong, instead of just deleting it.. confused.

Yes, they did - and I've had one since Rocket 150 - and still not built it. But now Hornby are going to produce it, my wife asked when I'm going to get round to doing it !

• 2 years later...
  • 2 months later...