New Red London Transport Pannier Tank

Forum-1211528

The reason why LT chose the earlier can 5700 version panniers is the height of the cab roof.

The later 8750 type cab is a bit bigger..

The LT Loading Gauge is a bit smaller in dimensions to the BR Loading Gauge.

Even then, the sides of the cab roofs were modified to fit by LT. I believe this was mainly the rain strips, and gutters..

I am probably old enough to remember seeing the real thing and one thing is certain, London Transport NEVER painted their steam locomotives simply red! The old Hornby one was horrible, the self coloured plastic looked cheap and nasty, and nowhere near the real London Transport livery at all. The colour of London Transport locomotives was Lake, similar to the Midland Railway colour, possibly a shade darker, sometimes erroneously called Maroon. This livery was inherited from the Metropolitan Railway.

Metropolitan No1 and No 23 are preserved and are resplendent in this livery. It suited the ex GW Panniers very well too. Just lately a GW 4575 class no.5571 has been repainted in LT livery and numbered L150. Very nice it looks too.

Metropolitan No 1 at Rickmansworth 1999

forum_image_60577f7cbd6f3.thumb.png.2ca867a1603eb47a2c02568e092e24b4.png

L150 at Sheffield Park 2014

forum_image_60577f7ff2de4.thumb.png.7ca27605838e5ca75fd842d6f79e7894.png

If Hornby is to do a new London Transport model let it be a C/O/P underground train instead.

• 2 years later...

I liked the old Tri-ang-Hornby 5700 class moulding which came out in 1972 and ended up as Duck in the Thomas range. However the 1978 issue with the incorrect bright Red LT livery on it grated a bit, but it is now a highly collectable model. The moulding was first issued in 1972 with synchrosmoke and X.04 powered jinty chassis with plated chrome wheels in GWR plain livery and was a great seller. A new Hornby 5700 is overdue for super detail (super fragile) fans or a relaunch of the old model in correct LT livery as a heritage model.