is live steam dead?

Go_West

Most of us do know what live steam is, I drive and fire my own 5" gauge loco, and have Hornby live stemaers. DCC would off a smoother control option. Plus you have the voltage difference problem with Hornby live steam in that it differs from the normal

12V DC. OO scale mass market Live steam is a dead technology for now until someone re-visits the idea.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Live Steam...Silver Link BIN price £655....just gone on ebay....buying new is sadly "dead" from Hornby....buying on the secondary market seems pretty bonkers prices being asked and (paid). Hornby could cash in by starting up production again with limited

runs and more exciting/variety of trains....the "technology" is sound. LS is outstanding to see and experience, once seen people are "hooked"....the market is clearly buoyant....the prices being paid are a multiple of the original rrp....Hornby should revisit

the decision....thoughts?

As stated many times before if live steam sold WELL it would still be made now. No OTHER MAIN stream maker of model railways experimented with it. That surely must tell you something. Live steam is dead and buried

agreed...its not necessarily a mass market item, but mass market is not the only route to a profitable return...if you look at the "completed" ebay sales for the last 12mos of "new" LS trains and sets sold....all are at a premium to the original rrp...maybe

it proves you don't miss something until its gone....either way...LS now has a strong and active secondary market...

Are you coming to Perth this

year? Unfortunately I missed the Perth exhibition last year but will certainly make a point of being there if I know that the Live Steam Club will be there.

Hi Dibble01,

WE have not had an invitation from Perh for this year, but we will be at Model Rail Scotland, in Glasgow, later this month. We are also at Doncaster, in February and Alexandra Palace in March.

• 3 weeks later...

It is a collectors' market, unfortunately. It does not help those of us who actually run these locomotives. Indeed, the high prices make it difficult for us to buy used

ones to rebuild into facsimiles of other prototypes. The average price of about 400-500 just prices the hobbyist out of the market.

[reply]rgmichel said:

I did say some time back that if a small production run of an engine took place what would you pay? I said then a price of £500 might be a starting point and some jumped in to say thats too much now on some web sites second

hand engine (as to me thats what they are as only Hornby of shops would sell new) are getting more expensive ever time I look. For hornby even to start up again they must consider what model how many for one production run the price and the profit?
We looking

through this Hornby site want the engines cheap we want an LMS or a GWR some want DDC is it or CCD higher voltage so with all that to think of maybe not yet there may come a time and an engine may roll out but thats just me hoping untill then i will build

my own engines from A3 engines.
The last ones of these LS to be built have all the mods and changes unlike the A4 which is not as well built. the one thing that I am hoping for is a flood of worn out engines coming on the market but you can bet even the

price of them will be mad in years to come well must get on with wifes decorating the grandson boat and last of all a LS GWR railmotor?

[reply]gowest said:
For hornby even to start up again they must consider what model how many for one production run the price and the profit?/reply]I am not convinced Hornby can start up again without a Major rethink of the design. However, they did

prove that live steam is viable in OO, and perhaps the more common HO standard.

I do not see a problem running the two systems together but think that to mix different engines with different

requirements is not the way to go I think steam is steam and electric is electric the design of these LS works and as I have proved can be built into just about any loco layout.
Engineers always have a problem with people that do not understand take the

TSR2 a great little plane then the power to be asked for it to fly 8000 miles or so then to carry bombs so the thing was scraped what starts out as one thing should not be changed too far there are may changes that took place with these models all to improve

the running and the last made A3 engines are the best built of the lot. All that would stop a new model coming out would be if people were willing to buy it.

• 2 weeks later...
Live steam might not be dead but hornby live steam is dead the world economics are not going to pick up in the next 5 years enough to justify the cost by which time the technology will be old hat. If hornby do try it again in the future it will be updated

and improved so what is around now will be like zero one vs DDC. By all means keep live going but don't expect hornby to help you any time soon.

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I like some here can still remember catching a steam train but in the mid 60's they went and a new motive power came along these new trains had no romance or character less

boys or grown ups went to thank the drive or look in the cab or take numbers even the smell had gone just a box on wheels to get you from a to b but with Hornby live steam back came the thrill if only for a short time but these engines are great for them that

likes em and many wish they were still being produced and one day they might.

I have got the live Steam Mallard. It gets extremely hot. You get a special pair of insulating gloves, but it is definitely too dangerous for children. The advantage of a live steam set over a DCC set, is that with live steam, you need not worry about

dirty track!

I think the live steam locos as Hornby have designed them are conceptually rather doubtful. The first thing is, electricity is used as a power source, and this does not have any prototypical parallel. The second thing, is that the live

steam model has an electric motor in it to open the regulator. The third thing, is that there is no brake - you can only stop by putting the engine into reverse. This means you cannot use a live steam loco on any layout that does not have a continuous run.

I

think Hornby would have more success with a slightly modified concept. I think it would be better if you filled the boiler with water, and that this heated water was passed to the cylinders, and expelled as exhaust through the funnel, but that steam pressure

was not used to power the train. As an electrically powered locomotive with steam at low pressure, it would not need to be so hot - only up to boiling point.

As it is, although it is steam, it is not really steam which is powering it. It would be better

if it generated steam, and made the chuff chuff sounds, and the wheels turned, but the real power to move the train was coming from an electric motor.

Archived