Disappointing club offers

Dear Hornby,

I am sure you have a strategic reason for your collector’s club annual offering.

I can only presume you are trying to attract a certain demographic of collector, probably aimed at younger members.

However, the word collector suggests something of high value or a revered item. I think the loco offering each year is not fulfilling that objective. Over time and in my case I will shortly have my third gift loco, I have no use or see no value in the gift. I am at a point that in reality I am paying a subscription to receive 4 magazines a year and is it worth it, No. 

My grandson (18mths!) ends up with the Locos and even he does not now yet he’s got them!

Of greater value would be a unique wagon, or similar rolling stock that most could fit onto an existing layout, perhaps that might encourage a further purchase of similar items. Or a generic line side accessory such a signal box, signal or similar. At least add value to someones collection!

Given I am of a demographic that now has disposable income, I think the club membership is questionable. 

Maybe the answer is two categories “Junior Members” (give them the toy train) and “lifelong collector”.(wagon or valued item)

Hi Garden Leave, just to point out that Hornby do not as a matter of course review comments made on the forum. I have no doubt that your thread will garner interest and further comment from forum members but for your own purposes may I suggest you send a letter to Hornby outlining your thoughts? R-

Well JJ, not strictly true.

Pre orders at 10% off with price and availability guaranteed when they eventually arrived would easily undercut the boxshifters.

Plus the HVC is one of my local shops so 20% discount was very welcome.

The occasional chat with Simon Kohler in the shop was a bonus.

As a "Club Member" you do of course get the chance to buy an exclusive model, only(?) available to club members - this year it is R3837 BR Standard 2MT – 2-6-0 78022 – 149.99.

This is a £30 reduction on similar models available to non-club members.

In times gone by, the Club often had several "exclusive" models available.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know what has happened to the exclusive club model 2MT? I saw it the other day, searching on 2MT. But now it's no longer listed, even when logged on as a member, and searching on 2MT or the R3837 part number. My renewed membership is definitely active, so it's not that.

I suspect they have hidden the 2MT Club Exclusive model page for the website, as the pre-order option wasn't enabled when it was there and I bet it was causing them work with people asking about it - I know I for one did ask them about it, so I suspect others did too.

• 2 weeks later...

Very good comment! I feel the same & the content in magazine is full of locos etc from bygone era & not really collecting or new loco reviews or even a letters page. Layouts could be shown (I note last issue did have a layout feature) but not a great read. Perhaps tips on ballast, layout issues & additional Hornby product info.

I'd give the collector a choice on their yearly gift, a loco, accessories kit, a wagon or perhaps a Skaledale building.

Doubt I'll sign up again.

• 3 weeks later...