How good is HM6000 DC control

David1707822318

The HM6000 pair of track feed wires are hard wired into the module PCB and they are a tad over 1.40m long, obviously specified with a Track-Mat layout in mind and fairly adjacent power points.

The P9100 power supply has an effective reach of 1.80m.

The simple way to extend the track feeds is to snip them at a convenient location and splice in a length of twin core flex/bell wire, either by way of choc-block connectors or solder and heat shrink joints.

I have asked that question and I think it will depend upon the short circuit reaction, which has already been proven using a pair of modules, but not a module and a standard controller.

If you compare the analogy of applying a direct backfeed voltage to the motor pins of a DCC decoder, then this is akin to that scenario i.e. the analogue controller is applying voltage to the module track (motor) power pins.

At risk of killing one of my test modules I could rig an analogue controller on the other ‘channel’ and see what happens at hand-over.

Currently there are two basic and proven handover methods.

1. within a single device app, handover from any module channel to any other module channel is done simply by matching speed and polarity across isolated track sections. If polarity is contra then self protection kicks in immediately - power is removed from the track and gives pause whilst settings are adjusted, then resume. Whichever module is more reactive will be the module to power out, usually the going to track section rather than the coming from section.
  2. if it is required to have multiple operators then one has to scan for and save but not provision yet all live modules on all handheld devices which run their own app installation, effectively establishing separate layouts.
  3. Using Mesh connectivity each operator has to provision those saved module(s) they wish to control and connect to it/them. Handover operator to operator is tedious requiring Op 1 to disconnect and deprovision a module and Op 2 to provision and connect to that module.
  4. if one use BLE rather than Mesh connectivity handover is simpler in that Op 1 disconnects a module and Op 2 connects to that module. Again these modules have previously been scanned for and saved by each operator prior to connecting.
  5. scanning will only find unattached devices, which can be saved in a list for use by any operator that has scanned for and saved them, but if any module has been previously attached i.e. provisioned and/or connected then it will be invisible upon scan.
  6. I would think handover to/from an analogue controller would best be achieved using BLE methodology. Testing will tell.

I realise that is fairly complex but upon practice it will become second nature.

@96Rob

Excellent..thank you! As it is only me that runs my layout I feel that if I left the analogue controller switched off, there would be no problem. I would only use the HM6000 system or the Gaugemaster analogue system, not needing to switch from one to the other. It would be interesting to see though if it was possible to run one system and then transfer to the other one. It remains to be discovered!! Many thanks for your input.

Having done some more testing of the HM6000 versus an analogue controller (R7229 was to hand so I used that) I have proven that you can handover from either controller to the other and back again simply by matching direction and approx speed and routing across a point to say a siding or a pair of points for loop to loop, providing the track sections are isolated using IRJs.

If the polarity is contra due to mis-direction then both controllers instantly shorted and shut off power. This occurred regardless of which was the leading controller.

Once the short was corrected the HM6000 could be resumed on screen as usual and the R7229 by unplugging and replugging both the jack plug and at the mains.

HM | DC can therefore be used with a fair degree of confidence alongside and in conjunction with your existing DC system.

If anyone is using HM | DC alongside a different DC controller and sees any problems then please post them on here and they can be investigated.

Thanks for that....that’s extremely encouraging. Being able to do this will give me a choice of controllers which will be very useful. Also, before I receive the HM 6000 I know now how I will connect it. On a slightly different matter..I have a fairly large collection of HOrnby Dublo which I run alongside my more modern HOrnby....I can’t remember offhand the current that a typical HD loco draws but it would be impressive if modern Bluetooth technology would power my HD locos all of which are approximately 60 years old!

Many thanks for your input on this.

Hi and thanks for the above posts. I have 2 of each of the HM6000 and HM6010 units in my grips grinning

Love the simplicity of the 6000 unit which offers a realm of great features and controls from such a small unit. Setup was easy and quick and the only issue I had was with the sounds as I could not get the volume to a level that I could hear it. So uninstalled the app and started again and it cured the issue. The speed control is very sensitive and the use of the brake and stop buttons are a great additional control in all a great unit

HOWEVER - I am having major pain getting the HM6010 units to operate any of my points/motors or my street lamps. I have checked the wiring is as the Quick Start Guide and that the wires are gripped in the push terminals on each channel. I see the controls on both the unit and the Shared 6000 screen but neither operate the accessories?

If anyone has any ideas or suggestions they would be greatly received. I have looked over the guide and the Instruction Videos but so far failed to get them to respond.

I now own the HM6000 DC control, I like it, it is simple and small but has a lot of potential. What do you think?

Hi Steve, I have 2 of these units and have successfully set up my first unit and pleased to say I am very impressed with the ease of setup/connection and the amount of control it offers thumbsupgrinning

Looking forward to seeing more features added in the near future. The app is quite slick too!

@DD

Just to bump this post and remind you of the Troubleshooting guides.

https://support.hornby.com/hc/en-gb/sections/360005645999-HM-DC-Troubleshooting

BLE mode is more forgiving than Mesh mode, but you must disconnect from Mesh before switching modes in Settings, then reconnecting.

This will keep you going until George the system Designer gets back to you.

Failing that Force Delete all modules, reset them using the reset button (Hold until red led flashes, then release. Both LEDs will flash then settle with a solid red) and then start from Square 1, scanning in Mesh Mode, save by provisioning each module, then reconnect all.

Received my HM 6000 today, set up was easy...everything works fine. Obviously I’m now after the HM 6010. Couple of simple questions....does the HM6010 have a connection to the track? If it does, I have two circuits...how would that work? Maybe it connects to the track via the HM6000...can’t really find any help on line. Also, how many points can you connect on one unit ? Sorry to be a bit simple but I just can’t find definite answers. Thanks!

No, the HM6010 does not connect to the track. It is a 'stand-alone' box that connects to its input power supply and the wiring to the solenoid point motors.

As per the HM6000, the HM6010 is also a wireless 'Bluetooth' enabled box. So your HM APP on your mobile device communicates directly with the HM6010 wirelessly via Bluetooth as it also does to the HM6000 dual track controller.

• 1 month later...

At the time of writing, the DCC track connection power option does not work. A fix is expected in due course via a firmware update to the product which will be able to be performed 'over air' via Bluetooth.

But just assuming for a moment that the DCC track input terminals were working, then their function is as follows:

The HM6010 is a unit to operate points and signals via Bluetooth and an APP. Now there may be 'users' who have a DCC controlled layout who for whatever reason do not want to operate their points and signals via DCC. Maybe their controller doesn't support DCC Accessory Addresses, or there is too much button pressing involved to operate an accessory. These users might then want to have a hybrid control system, where they keep their current DCC controller set up to operate their loco fleet, but would like an APP based point and click a button on screen solution to operate their points and signals.

This is where the DCC track input comes into play on the HM6010. A DCC powered and controlled track can use the HM6010 DCC track input terminals to provide power to the HM6010 saving the cost of a P9100 series power pack. They would then use the HM6000 APP to operate their points and signals, whilst their current DCC controller concentrates on just operating the locos and trains.

I stress that at the current time, the DCC Track input on the HM6010 does not accept any form of DCC command to operate from a DCC controller. It is purely Analogue in operation. And until a 'firmware' fix is applied, powering a HM6010 from DCC track power, prevents the HM6010 from working at all via the HM6000 APP. At the time of writing this reply, the HM6010 ONLY works when using the recommended Hornby P9100 series power supply [or the P9300 4 amp power supply as an upgrade].

Although not a relevant or asked question, but just be aware that at the current time with the current firmware. The HM6010 is limited to three units being able to be controlled by the Hm6000 APP. This limits the number of supported individual point and signal ports that can be used to 12 [3 units x 4 ports]. This limitation severely restricts the size of layout suitable for this HM product solution.

• 10 months later...

Hi,

I am really pleased with my HM6000 DC control, I have added 2 HM6010’s My layout is a signal oval with a station including 8 point goods yard in the center. I get a lot of fun out of it, the finger tip control of the layout really ads to it. Shunting with the brake and inertia features enabled takes some concentration. I have had no problems with the set u or use of the controllers at all. I use a tablet for the app control, as I find the app on a phone too small. The low speed control is excellent, I have 3 locos and I couldn’t imagine anyone wanting them to go at a slower crawl speed. The steam sound which I run through a loud speaker is ok although there is room for improvement on the diesel sound.

Tim

• 3 weeks later...

@Richard

Moderator Note:

It is in your own interest to have a unique user name. 

Could you please select ‘My Account’ towards the top right hand corner of your screen, then Community and choose a nickname in the ‘My Profile' tab, rather than your First name that has been automatically allocated by the system. We had hoped a Forum change was coming to prevent this automatic allocation but a manual change is required at the moment and there will be more than one member with your name. This request together with some other information for new posters is contained in a thread at the top of the General Discussion section called ‘Information for new members registering for the Forum’