HM6010 [suitability for Kato motors?]

derekr1707821591

If they can be used with an R8247 DCC accessory decoder then they can be used with HM6010 as it is in essence the same tech.

The default output is a 500mS double pulse in either direction when set to Point.

Setting to Signal gives a continuous output to provide red/off/green.

Setting to Light gives continuous output for on-off control.

Setting to Turntable gives on-off also.

I leave to Chris to add his opinion about the 3-2wire adaptor as he has covered the DCC side previously.

I'm not 100% familiar with Kato point motor products which is why I had until now refrained from making a comment. But a broad brush Google search seems to infer that the Kato is a Solenoid based point motor based upon two and not three wires, using voltage pulse reversal to throw the Solenoid in each direction.

The DCC Concept 3 to 2 wire convertor is a very simple circuit that I fully understand the operation of. So that understanding and based upon my Kato Solenoid 'Google research' assumption plus Rob's comment about compatibility with the R8247 operation. Then I theorise that the 3 to 2 adaptor should work, particularly as DCC concepts do state compatibility of it to work with Kato.

The HM6010 product is so new, I suspect that your use with the DCC Concept adaptors will be you being the guinea pig to try it out. I doubt that there will be any others yet that have actually tried it.

Just to add for the benefit of future readers. If the Kato is indeed a 2 wire Solenoid operation and not a 'stall motor' type product. Then the HM6010 must be configured for 'Pulse' operation. The current draw of a Solenoid will burn out the HM6010 if it is set to 'continuous' output. The HM6010 instructions state that the outputs of ports 1 to 3 are only rated for a continuous output of 140mA and 500mA for port 4.

This 'pulse operation requirement' would be the same with any similar Accessory Decoder used with Solenoid based point motors.

• 1 month later...

I just acquired a HM6010 at last. I like the unit and what it does just a shame about those horrible connectors, what on earth made Hornby use them.

I have now tested with a Kato turnout and a three wire to two wire adaptor and yes it works.

It would be nice to be able to adjust the points firing time and reduce it to one trigger (use selectable) as the Kato turnouts fire straight away and then audibly click twice.

So far I like the HM6K system just a pity about those connectors.

Derekr.

Moderator’s Note: You may wish to bring your request for altering the pulse time and frequency to Hornby’s attention by submitting it as a ‘suggestion for improvement’ using the sticky post at the top of this forum section.

If it is any consolation I find the 6010 module connectors too fiddly.

• 1 year later...

I am slightly confused about the mention of decoders for controlling Kato point motors from the HM 9010. My layout is all DC working. Do you need to use the 3 wire to 2 wire converter work for DC only layouts or does the 9010 allow for using 2 wire operation from the channels set for pulse point control?

Thanks, Mark

@mark

Forget about DCC decoder references, that was only for comparison and to establish workability.

As derekr has confirmed as a Kato point motor user, you need the DCCConcepts 3 wire to 2 wire converter to interface Kato motors with your 6010. The 6010 has to be set in the app on pulse (point) control mode.

In summary you connect the three wires from the converter to the 6010 and the two wires from the converter to your point motor. The 6010 has a common positive with switched directional negatives. The converter takes those outputs and sends a reversing polarity to the Kato motor.

This is the item you need (3-pack shown, multiple packs available), one device for each point motor.

https://www.dccconcepts.com/product/dcc-decoder-converter-3-wire-to-2-wire-3-pack/

@96RAF

Thanks for the clarification and explanation, just couldn't get my head around it, perhaps Hornby could produce guide of some description for differing types of point motors, I have been using the 9010 to successfully control slow motion motors by using the signal setting which provides the 12v continuous supply as required by these motors, don't know if this isok but seems to work.

Thanks again

Mafk

Yes stall motorscan be driven by the signal output as it provides each way ‘drive’.

You can lodge your suggestion for a multi-point motor guide in the sticky post at top of the HM | DC forum index which is a thread for bug reports and suggested improvements. That thread is periodically passed to the project manager for review.