Lockheed Starfighter

Captain Lockheed

• 1 month later...

Its not the best 104 out there but it has a lot of nostalgia levels for me. It certainly was the first of many 104 kits in my collection.

If it came out again in the Classic range it would be very welcome, but I would need to consider another set of markings as an alternative.

Its not the best 104 out there but it has a lot of nostalgia levels for me. It certainly was the first of many 104 kits in my collection.
If it came out again in the Classic range it would be very welcome, but I would need to consider another set of markings as an alternative.

Much the same for me tbh.

It was the first 104 I built and it would be nice to have it again, it is a bit of a hard beastie to find in the pre-owned world & I'm not all that keen on paying the asking price for the few I have found.

Fortunately there are a lot of options available on the decal front as the 104 still appears to be a popular model.

Here's hoping Airfix can come up with the goods at some point.

p.s Here are a couple of Starfighters from my collection & there are a few more, not that I like that particular bird or anything ;)

forum_image_60d1ed5989dec.thumb.png.d0e053deac62bb42ba8776154c4d9b9a.png

I had also thought about asking for this old favourite to be re-released but there's no escaping the fact that it's a very basic kit, even by early Airfix standards. I have always found though that no matter what the subject, if you give at a half decent coat of paint and apply some colourful decals it usually doesn't turn out too bad. I used some after market decals on this model that are a slight variation on the original markings from the sixties.

forum_image_60d40948ab705.thumb.png.f8cc4f08cff9434142436c2b19778ab6.png

I have another couple of Starfighters from other manufacturers and this stands up fairly well against them. Who knows, we may see it’s return soon. It would be a good starter kit.

I built this kit when it was first released, 1963/1964, though it was lost in a crash a couple of years later (90 % loss) …

This one is a release from the 1980s which I purchased on eBay in 2010.

Some of the errors that I have done my best to correct : the main wheels are too small (I replaced them by resin wheels for a F94C Starfire); there is no arrester hook (I found one in my spare box from an old Airfix Skyhawk); the fins on the fuel tanks; engine exhaust.

A lot of nostalgia and much fun !

forum_image_60d74aa473231.thumb.png.5a07f0301ec2d3a3b2f8b8c52e3c95ae.png

• 3 months later...
I know it may be a bit of a long shot but does the tooling for the 1/72 Lockheed Starfighter still exist & if so could it be released in the Vintage Classic range?

The last one of these I built a few years ago needed loads of fillers. Almost all the parts were in a bad way. I think it deserves a whole new mould for a new detailed kit

forum_image_6153c54238ba4.thumb.png.2065dfd801050830214480154bc220d4.png