Pulling power of a loco, how to tell?

JS84Z

Hi all

I know that for a loco to have high pulling power, it needs to be heavy to avoid wheel slip. Manufacturers never give specifics on this so is there actually a way to know the pulling power of a loco or is the only way to find out is to play by the ear when you acquire a new loco?

Weight is one thing.

Number of driven wheels - one or both bogies on larger diesels / electrics is another.

Traction tyres - not everyone's 'cup of tea' but they work is another.

In many cases weight can be 'adjusted' - there's generally room for more, but more is not necessarily 'the answer' - you can add too much, and in the wrong places.

Type of motor / condition is very important as well.

Al.

Jimbo,

A search on Ebay of "newton meter" will show several of different "capacities" at quite low prices. I will have to watch Sam's video to establish typical forces in order that a meter offering a suitable capacity can be selected.

I've just tried to edit my earlier post but nothing doing. I've watched one of Sam's videos where he pulls himself using 32 locos; I think he said 10N with 32 so on average that is 0.31N per loco in which case the 1N scale should be okay. A word of warning though; if the loco is pulling against restraint and not able to move then that is the "stall current" situation and you don't want to be doing that for very long!

For reference I used to tighten up some big bolts to 800 Nm which equated to around 660 LbsFt of torque. For equivalent scale this was a mighty tug on a five foot torque wrench.

So for this exercise convert Newtons to pounds force and compare with pulling a bag of sugar.