P47 Thunderbolt ..

colin-1221926

• 3 weeks later...
We need a new P-47D Razorback. The old Airfix kit is horribly dated, and not up to today's standards. The tooling is from 1963 - it is older than most today's modellers.

Hi Susanna

I built the old Airfix P-47 in the late 60's right out of the box using Rub'n Buff silver; aside from the raised detail making filling / sanding very difficult, it turned out ok. I don't remember this kit as having any shape or dimensional issues but it lacked today's standard of detail and had those difficult to work with engraved panel lines (but then again so did all of the early Hasegawa kits..... their 1/72 F-86 didn't even have wheel wells much like the early Frog f-86). The moldings I recall as being free of flash with out sink holes, etc. that I have found from time to time with Airfix Kits of the past. I think that I read Robert S Johnson's book "Thunderbolt" about that time.

Some of us might like to get that "vintage" kit and build it just for nostalgia... although it is not currently on my wish list for a new mold..... I have other fish to fry!!! How about an HP Hampden for example.

By the way....in 1963 I had already built a dozen or so Airfix aircraft kits and had switched to building hot rods in 1/32nd and 1/25th scale as that was the time of Hot Rods and Surfing music ..... my older siblings were living the American Graffiti / Happy Days experience. a local business man flew a Spitfire Mk9 out of the local airport and the RCAF Golden Hawks visited once a year with their Sabre 6's. yes .... those were the days...

Cheers,

Tim

• 2 weeks later...

I would like to see new P-47s in 1/72, 1/48 and 1/24

It would make an excellent companion to the P-51s in those scales

and I don't really care if its a razor-back or bubble top

Perhaps Airfix could do it the way they did the 1/24 Hawker Typhoon with the moulding done for the alternative fuselage shapes

Johann managed to do it a lot of years ago with their 1/72 kit

• 3 months later...

I honestly didn't know Airfix had one until yesterday. No these are not Airfix and I don't remember who's kit it is. The P-47 is one of my favorites and I am doing a binge built of Italeri, Academy, Revell and Tamiya.

Don't worry though, I have 62 Airfix P-51s to build and yes, there are that many different decals sets for them.

I do want to build at least a few Spitfire V for the 4th FG to go with these P-47s

Randy