A Challenge :- What's the biggest Train have you even done on your Layout?

JJ73

I always liked the Triang EM2, nearly getting a CKD kit on numerous occasions, but never did.......

The problem with the Triang EM2 is that its haulage capacity on non ferrous track, it`s pretty dire. My models will hauls Trix plastic coahes with pinpoint axles and no doubt, modern hornby coaches. I machined the wheel flanges down to negociate Dublo points. I`ve even thought of maching a groove into a couple and fitting traction tyres.

Ray

Well JJ, I accepted your challenge and put together every single one of my OO gauge wagons I had available into one big train! That is as follows:

25 open wagons of various types,

3 bogie bolster/well wagons,

4 tankers,

6 vans,

1 livestock van,

1 wheel carrier,

4 brakevans.

= 44 wagons

I have another 11 on another layout that I'll take to add next time.

But it's all very well assembling a long train, could any of my engines actually pull it? I chose the beefiest loco I have, that is my ViTrains class 37, an absolute monster of a puller and it managed the train beautifully. Considering there was a mix of metal and plastic wheels and D type and modern couplings, there were surprisingly few derailments. Didn't get chance to test many locos, but my new Q6 could pull it when the train was mostly on the straight, but couldn't around the bends (R4). I didn't add all my coaches, there almost certainly wouldn't be room for that, but perhaps I'll do a longest passenger train on the inside line.

Photos to come :-)

I have managed to get my P2 to pull 19 long GWR Clerestories, but there were problems. The weight of the train was such that some of the bogies derailed as the train slowed at the foot of an incline on a curve. Another time it was the tender that was derailed as the train slowed (well the loco slowed the train did not!)

As promised, here are the photos. I managed to add those extra wagons and the train successfully ran a few full loops without derailing or the loco cutting out or slipping. Total wagons: 52. Unfortunately the photos are from the first time, so only 44. There are three Triang open wagons and a Railroad BR 20T brake van that are currently dismantled on my work table, so I couldn't use those, but other than those, that's every single wagon we own!

forum_image_61accfa87e99e.thumb.png.e2dae48868a813710caf3e45a4304891.png

forum_image_61accfb20de73.thumb.png.631f295a10550861a6435360eb659b56.png

• 11 months later...

I was looking for the 'what was running today' thread, but managed to find this.

The Hattons Class 66 has huge hauling capacity, and over the last 12 months I've had mixed results trying to get my Freightliner heavy haul hopper wagons running more freely - various trials including reprofiling the pin point axles, inserting brass axle sockets, removing the 'brake shoes' which can catch on the wheels, and eventually I simply purchased a load of bogie frames off Ebay.

I had also found I hadn't permitted enough articulation of the bogies, which explained why they had been frequently derailing for no apparent reason.

Brief video:

Al.

Bit of a common denominator there!!

I tried a Class 50, which just span its wheels.

I tried a Class 60, which did it, but couldn't go smoothly at perhaps a scale 40 mph like the H66. Impressive enough nevertheless.

That Hattons 66 really is a beast!!

I'll have to be good - I've already had one replacement chassis last year - don't think they'd be up to another!! I think they wanted to learn what was possibly going wrong.

I'm keeping that rake out, pending receipt of the Dapol Class 59 ....

Perhaps I shouldn't - their motors aren't the most powerful.

Al.

Cheers JJ. Trust me, the drag was pretty immense - those hoppers are rather annoying.

Some are much freer running than others, in part its the added brake detailing I suspect binding on the wheels, the other is simply the axles / bogies frames - axles appearing too long (tight) and too short (flop).

That Hattons 66 is just about the only one to haul them without issue.

The Hornby 60 did, but needed a little coaxing.

Compassion and consideration for pending financial impact mean I've dropped the load to 11!!

I did a quick 'push test'. 9 are relatively good, 8 are draggy and have been placed into sidings pending 'engineering reviews'!! (Check on binding brakes and/or pin-point axles.)

Bachmann Rats can now haul the 9 without too much issue - they're pretty powerful little locomotives as well!

Al.

My Rats can now haul 12 comfortably - which is what I may normally expect.

I've found the main problem to be the axles are too tight in the bogies, and have been very carefully 'reprofiling' the axles.

As my Dremel died a few months ago, this is something I'm having to do manually - at least I'm not removing the wheels, then ensuring they mount properly onto the insulating bushes and regauging them!

'Big H' is laughing now - the wagons are a doddle!

Al.