Best base to build on

craig-1233895

I agree with Rog (RJ), and with a 3x1 support framework underneath - 3x1 gives room for underboard point motors - when you reach that stage. This pictures shows my boards under construction. These were produced from a commercially bought kit, but could easily be made by a good carpenter.

forum_image_61bda6fe2092c.thumb.png.6b901950dafeb7a59303f861ca25425b.png

Definitely, plywood.

Chipboard will delaminate and crumble around the edges.

MDF is too hard and is not suitable for locations that are not temperature and humidity controlled (out-houses, garages and sheds etc).

Plywood is stable, soft enough to accept track pins without drilling pilot holes first and lighter than the other wood options.

My layout was made about 30 years ago with fibre board, it was the thing at the time, good bit easy to cut holes in for under the point motors and push Peco long track pins into. Bad points degrades over time in the form of sagging, needs supporting with a wooden structure, absorbs water. If I had made a better supporting structure at the time I think the sagging would be minimal. MDF and chipboard difficult to machine if you use under point point motors, virtually impossible to push track pins into. MDF is much better than chipboard. Plywood light but again difficult to machine, cannot push or hammer Peco track pins into without bending, over time layers can lift. I just recently put an extension to my layout I used 6 mm plywood base supported on a wooden framework, on the top where the track runs I used 12 mm Fibre board which gives quieter running and I can push track pins into. I know I am going to gravel it eventually but for the initial laying of the track you need the track pins to keep it in place. Finally with all of these is weight, my layout is strung between the rafters of the loft, so I didn't want to use a very heavy material.

This question has been asked many times in the past and there are several responses. Personally I get upset with anyone who states it "must be", or " has to be". However, I think everyone will agree that the supporting framework is key and needs to be rigid. My own layout framework, in a dedicated heated & insulated room in the garage, is topped with 12mm MDF with a layer of Builder Merchant fibreboard glued over that.

• 2 weeks later...