• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No Scimitar please, we have a Xtra-Kit :
Supermarine Scimitar F 1

A Vickers Warwick are welcome.

Matthias

aka modelldoc

I don’t think the Xtrakit Scimitar is that easy to come by these days. Besides tackling the Scimitar I would like to see Airfix new molds for other 60s and 70s FAA types like early mark Sea Kings, the Wasp, a later mark Whirlwind (instead of having to convert the old Airfix mold or the increasingly hard to come by Italeri H-19 series), and the Wessex.

While wishing maybe it’s time to update the Belvedere with a modern tool?

My WWI mini-project is making slow but steady progress. I'd like to confine my builds to Airfix kits, but although there are plenty of Hannovers, Halberstadts etc etc out there (at a price naturally...) why did Airfix never produce a Sopwith Triplane or the S.E.5?

So that would be my current wishlist - in 1/72 scale incidentally.

My wish would be a change of heart from Airfix and start producing affordable 1/72 AFVs. If Airfix is only going only to produce 1/35AFVs at least try and be orginal and different. I might buy one model at almost £50 but I do wonder whether going down the route of expensive models will in the long run be deterimental to the future.

Me I am moving away from my prefered 1/72(6) towards 1/100 (flames of war mainly) because latest offererings are DIFFERENT ie crusader 20mm AA, RAMs, archers, A30, sextons. Pity I would like to support British companies and what new AFVs has been produced by Airfix in 1/72(6). Its strange that we have to go to certain Polish company for a range of crusaders, A9/10, various universal carriers and A27s.

I would like more Allied AFVs - leave the Third reich stuff to Revell - they have produced just about everything including jets and flying saucers that never even existed!rage

1/72 Valentine ideally a change from the usual MkII - IX or XI/ This was the most mass produced tank in WW2 by the British /Canadiansgrinning and was very popular with the red army. Try looking up the New Zealand 3" CS version. Cracking colour scheme.

1/72 Churchill why not a Dieppe mkI/II or OKEyum for a change.

1/72 WW1 mkV.

1/72 Matilda - how about with Australian modifications to be different and the current model is well past its sell by date.

If it is large aircraft is all Airfix want to produce go for the Halifax , Stirling or Hampdon.

Outsiders Fokkers XXI

Hawk 75 (ideally as Mohawk or in Vichy French colours)

A little late for 2023's catalogue, but here goes with some suggestions..

I would have to second (or third, or however many) ideas for producing Cold War era - with regard to the V-bombers, certainly - airfield vehicles. Some already exist in terms of the former JB Models moulds, and these would be great to see again.

Furthermore, the NATO Ground Crew set would be a very welcome set to go with this theme; yes, they are HO/OO, but still very useful!

Whilst Airfix do seem to be focused on aircraft, and larger ones at that, given the straitened times ahead, what about some 'entry-level' or lower-priced goodies that could well tempt all pockets?

How about pantographing the 1/32 range of figures to 1/72 or thereabouts to replace some of the 'tired' stock? I was thinking in terms of the WWII British Paratroopers, WWII Russians, even combining the WWII British Infantry and Heavy Weapons sets...?

Finally... A suggestion one notes doing the rounds on numerous wargaming sites, and even hinted at on PSR:

The 1/32 "Modern German Infantry" and "Modern British Infantry" released in 1/72 or HO/OO? It's a big "ask", and given there only being seven poses at present... What about combining both, or perhaps sculpting additional figures, as was carried out years ago with the HO/OO U.S. Marines? They'd be ideal accompaniment for future reissues of the Leopard, Chieftain, Centurion or indeed Scorpion tanks, should they materialize!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The release of the 1:48 scale Buccaneer has inspired me to return to the hobby of my youth (many, many years ago!) however, after reading numerous reviews about this model, all of which are very complementary (rather more so than the original and retooled versions!), I think they’ve missed a trick by not including the alternative bomb door fuel tank for the S.2B variant as used by the RAF, especially 15 and 16 squadrons based at RAF Laarbruch in what was West Germany. These aircraft played a key part in Britain’s nuclear deterrent during the cold war and, latterly, played an equally important role during the Gulf War too.

I had the honour and pleasure of serving with 16 squadron between 1979 and 1982, and am extremely pleased to see this iconic aircraft in 1:48 scale but, for obvious reasons, am not really interested in the naval versions so I'd like to see a retool of the 2005 S.2B version to the new standard or, at least, provide the alternative bomb door fuel tank as a standalone optional extra.

In the workbench blog there is a good photo of the built model posing as if ready to be crewed but, crucially, there are no items of the ground equipment that would normally be in such photos so I'd also like to see a kit that comprises of the ground power unit, the palouste air starter unit, and a land rover or tug.

Hi Steve,

I reckon that if you give it another year or two, you will see a re-release of the 1/48 Buccaneer as an RAF version with the belly tank, as Airfix did with the 1/72 version. Watch out for the 2023 range announcement in January!

As for the ground equipment, it would be great if Airfix did this, but failing that, I'm sure you would be able to find aftermarket accessories. Have a look on the Hannants site.

I would say an RAF issue of the Buccaneer kit is a dead cert at a later date.

Aircraft in Miniature do a selection of ground equipment, you can find them on the Hannant's pages: https://www.hannants.co.uk/search/index.php?adv=1&product_category_id=&product_division_id=&manufacturer_id=362453&product_type_id=&code=&scale_id=955&keyword_search=&setPerPage=25&sort=0&search_direction=asc&save_search_name=&save_search=

Sorry, but I can't actually link, you'll have to copy and paste.

Many thanks for the Hannant’s suggestion guys, much appreciated. They do a very useful Houchen, which was used to provide ground power, and a Buccaneer specific towbar but not the air starter that we used in RAFG (it was still a palouste but in a 4 wheeled towable unit). Seems the only palouste air starter kit is the RN portable one that could be slung on a wing pylon - to the best of my knowledge we never adopted them in the RAF.

Happy new year all!