End of the Line for Members' Club perhaps?

Johnangler

I would love to know what the discussions were over Member' Club for 2022.

Last year membership was £30 and for that we got 4 magazines, a badge, a card and lanyard and the free engine; they then added on 10% discount in the period leading up to Christmas (annoyingly just after I had ordered something!).

Now the free loco has become a low cost model only and the 10% discount has been added as standard. It seems to me that the overall value is significantly dimished unless you are planning to buy at least £160 worth of goods from Hornby (which I am unlikely to do this year). The most significant thing the £30 membership gets you is four magazines at an equivalent value of £7.50 per issue -because the card is a standard membership items in most clubs - and, unless you collect badges do you really want one, and who needs a new lanyard each year?

I know that the 0-4-0 models are not to everyone's taste, and personally I'm not in need of another one, however I have always thought that the club membership was good value but if you rejoin this year the comparative price of membership has increased by over 50% so good value is no longer a description that I would apply.

It raises the question: do Hornby think that the club is something to be phased out?

Club membership fee has always equated roughly to the retail price of the ‘free’ loco. The rest is thrown in, likely funded by the profit on the freebie.

Compare Hornby, Airfix and Scalextric club fees versus the retail value of the free gift.

ROW membership fees simply add on the P&P amounts.

With the 'free' loco the membership cost was only just worth it. Now that the loco has been dropped I think that is no longer the case. Plus there are only so many Railroad 0-4-0s most people would want. As I've mentioned in another thread, the 10% discount isn't a draw either, (not for me anyway) as most retailers' prices equate to similar. Maybe some find the magazines worth £7.50 each.

A point I don't think has been made yet is that, although not free, there is a Club 0-4-0 loco on the website - R30202 - that is priced at only £17.99 as a 'Hornby Club Exclusive'.

I did refer to that in my initial post, referring to it as "a low cost model"and making the point that this effectively increases the equivalent cost of membership by over 50 percent. Suggests to me that Hornby aren't too interested in maintaining the club as membership is likely to fall. The extra benefits of membership that I didn't mention are the free entry to the Hornby Museum and reduced price tickets to the Greta British Model Railway Exhibition but I don't think they redress the balance of reduced value for money.

While I can understand that the Club may not be as good value for some members as it was in the past. If you buy your loco's from Hornby, as a Club member, the 10% discount is worth having. I know the same discount can be had from other retailers, but you do also get free postage (over £50), and you are guaranteed to get the loco - which under the current Hornby supply rules to some retailers, you may not. Also price has always been honoured as at time of order. So, personally, I think the cost of Club membership is worth it - I have already saved this years membership cost on the savings made from orders over the last couple of days. I cannot see the "End of the Line" for the Members Club.