Good Reads Related to Airfix Kits

Hurricane Boy

Thought that it might be good to start a discussion on "Good Reads related to Airfix Kits". Although I will start with an aircraft related book, it could be any topic related to Airfix models.

I have just finished re-reading "Torpedo Bomber!" by Ralph Barker published in 1967 in the US but originally published in the UK as "The Ship Busters" 1957 copyright. This book as "The Ship Buster" is still available digitally from various sources.

It was a good read describing the development of the Coastal Command Torpedo Bomber equipment and tactics development during WW2 as well as the operations in the North Sea, Atlantic and Mediterranean. I am sure that there are other more detailed books on this subject but it was a good quick read.

In particular, there was a fairly detailed description of the April 6, 1941 attack on the German Battleship Gneisenau at Brest harbour in which Flt Lt Ken Campbell was awarded the VC and whose aircraft is featured in the 1/72nd AIRFIX Bristol Beaufort Mk 1 kit A04021.

Also described are the various attacks during the Channel Dash in 1942. One of those described is that of Lt Cmdr Esmonde who was awarded the VC for pressing home his attack. His Swordfish is featured in the new 1/72nd Airfix Fairey Swordfish kit A04053B.

The book follows the transition to the torpedo carrying Beaufighters with the multiple squadron attacks using separate and coordinated flak suppression, rocket attacks and torpedo attacks later in the war. The various new mold 1/72nd Beaus fit right into this as well.

Finally, there is also mention of the Blenheim Mk IV coastal fighters that can be modeled from the new 1/72nd kit.

forum_image_620db08383e3c.thumb.png.eddab7888dd826d40febee338f73a239.png

Cheers,

Tim

I like the Osprey books 'Aircraft of the Aces' series.

Lots of good biographical info on the pilots, info on the missions, how they became aces and colour profiles of their aeroplanes.

I've lately been working through the WW1 books. I've read a lot of the others, eg WW2, Korea, Vietnam etc and built models based on profiles in those books

I also have a large collection of books about the Napoleonic Wars (1790 -1816). From them I've gained details on equipment et cetera to build the Airfix Collectors 54mm Figure series.

There are a surprising amount of books by the soldiers of that era

thats all for now