RECREATING VINTAGE CLASSIC BOX ART

I’ve long been an admirer of the box art that has adorned Airfix kits for so many years and so rather than just build a model for its own sake, I decided to attempt a recreation of some Vintage Classic box art – in this case, the Scammell Tank Transporter, complete with the Churchill tank (featured on the box, though not included!).

forum_image_622dfbdcdea3d.png.1f8297d76d0ed426c817bd388ca739e5.png

I must say that the instructions for the Scammell were as vintage classic as the moulding! In some areas, it was very difficult to work out where bits went as the curvy locating arrows in the diagrams were about as much use as a chocolate teapot. The only extra ornamentation for the Scammel were a few scratch built bits in the luggage locker under the cab, glazing for the cab and a few oil drums made from suitable sized sprue and also a chain joining the ends of the ramps. The green paint was Ammo Mig British 1939-45 Smart Set SCC15 Olive Drab, with Vallejo being used for the tyres and mud.

forum_image_622dfbde8a755.png.509c8e2086a6d041a3dc6c3fbe5486d1.png

The Churchill tank was very much as I remembered it from when I last built it when I was very much younger. The tiny little wheels and springs were somewhat intricate, and quite tricky to align, but it was actually quite an enjoyable model to build. One advantage of the design of the tank was that you can hide the track join under the side skirts. As for the Scammell, it was very much OOB, with a couple of aerials being added, and a driver and commander (from the WW2 British Infantry set, suitably carved about). The hardest bit was drilling out the gun muzzle. Paint was as for the Scammell.

forum_image_622dfbe03e3a1.png.9234c4b3c0107d777f09693c5fab6902.png

Whilst the Mig Ammo paint is apparently very accurate in terms of colour, it dries to a more or less gloss finish, so both models were brush-painted with Vallejo Matt varnish at the end.

forum_image_622dfbe205ed3.png.441bc43a77125282f8223d6688534ed3.png

The base for the mini-diorama was constructed using household filler applied to a bit of plywood with a spatula, and the tyre-tracks created by dragging a suitable scale (in terms of wheel width) die-cast car through it. It was then painted using acrylics, with a suitable background created to mimic the box art.

Altogether, a pleasing little project. Hope you like it.

forum_image_622dfbe3c0c98.png.fcd0d80e97046cbde0592b200f8470ed.png

• 3 weeks later...