Latest Completed Models

Torment30

Hi Randall

As always beautiful work on your Allison powered Mustangs and A-36. Your ability to turn out so many high quality models is very inspiring!

If you want to do an A-36 in RAF colours, there is really only one choice. “EW998” was the only NA-97 A-36 Invader in RAF service. From my source it appears that the RAF serial was the only specific marking ie no squadron or aircraft codes. Standard Northern Europe fighter colours (I assume green/gray top surfaces), yellow leading edges and no cord wise bands.

For the 650 NA-73/83 Mustang (P-51A Apache types) in RAF service there are a plethora of marking choices of the 8 machine gun armed Mustang I and the 4 - 20mm cannon armed Mustang Ia.

*My recollection on the naming from reading some of my father’s early war Air Progress and other aviation mags was that originally in the US names were P-51 Apache and A-36 Invader while the Brits called the P-51 versions Mustangs…the name that stuck. Wish I had kept them now.

Thanks Hurricane boy, I may instead do a Mustang I in the RAF colors. As pictured I have the P-51A1 but I also would like to have the P-51A Mustang I for the RAF.

I currently have about 12 models to finish then I can move on to something different.

I'm building two more P-38H models, here's one of them

forum_image_632dacbf96b04.png.d2f42f9a3df278ca2cce8c5971039217.png

Coming up is another P-38H, a P-38G and a few P-51B and three P-47D razor backs.

Regards,

Randall

Hi Randall

Just a thought for your RAF Mustang I …… one of the most significant RAF Mustang I’s was one that scored the first aerial victory by any P-51 anywhere. It was a real international effort.

RAF Mustang I AG470 serving with 414 Squadron RCAF flown by an American volunteer in the RCAF, Flt Lt Hollis Hills shot down one of three FW-190s that attacked his aircraft while on a tactical reconnaissance mission over Dieppe on August 19, 1942 during the ill fated raid on that port.

See IPMS article at attached site below

https://www.ipmscanada.com/rt-issues-text/Mustang%20Addendum%20(May%202020).pdf

Hi Hurricane boy,

I have a decal set for the Dieppe raid, The Mustang I you suggested is one of the aircraft.

These decal sets from DP Casper are pretty intense and require a lot of models which I have. The plan has always been to build ALL of the aircraft in the set at once. there are 16 aircraft in this set including 7 Spitfires and 3 FW190s, 1 Bf109F, A Boston, one Hurricane, a Blenheim mk IV, a DO217. I can't wait to get going on them.

I am surprised that the model manufacturers haven't promoted some of these smaller decal makers. Buying all of these planes for these sets could certainly empty a warehouse. Recently I have built at 6 Airfix Mustangs using aftermarket decals and I have several more to go, according to my spreadsheet I still have 7 more Airfix mustangs to do.

Regards

Randall

Hi Randall

Thanks for the heads up on the Dieppe Raid decals I am going to order them for my Academy 1/72nd scale Mustang. I will need to convert it from cannon armament to machine guns.

Your ability to get models built is very impressive and inspiring. Please keep sharing pictures of your work with us!

(Right now I am working in the attic reinsulating and changing out the range hood back-draft damper before winter arrives…..but then back to models I hope!)

Cheers,

Tim

Hi Rod

You are exactly right on that. There was a nice conversion build article for Academy cannon armed kit to AG 470 in Fine Scale Modeler magazine years ago. I have it or a scanned copy somewhere.

The machine guns in the nose and getting the wing guns right were noted as the only real challenges. I think that the centre wing machine gun is located on a lower centerline than its two neighbours. I can't remember which guns were 30 cal and which were 50 cal. but I think that there were four of each in total

Tim

Hi Rod

Thank you for thinking about me and we certainly have the folks in the Maritimes and Eastern Quebec in our hearts and minds. At one point everyone in PEI were without power. And the pictures show some serious damage to trees and structures and lots of flooding. I have not heard of and serious injuries or loss of life so that is a blessing!

But no I can’t use Fiona as an excuse for not getting a multi kit build going (like Randall) as she passed about 2000 km to the east. I am about 1/2 way between St. John’s Newfoundland and Vancouver which is a distance of 5,000 km

Hi Rod

Toronto is quite safe as it is about 1000 km west of post tropical storm Fiona’s track.

I would be remiss if I did not correct my earlier post

Apparently a women has died as a result of the storm at Port aux Basques, Newfoundland which was hit quite hard with 20 homes being destroyed….many just washed out to sea by huge waves (30’ to 40’) that accompanied the storm surge.

As I said earlier, those folks affected by the storm are certainly in our thoughts and prayers.

Tim

These look really good Randall, well done.

You know, it would be nice to see these on their own separate post. I think it would make them easier to find, and not ‘dilute’ them with all other latest builds. With so many being built in your interest area, they’re not just one-off latest builds, in my opinion anyway.