new layout design

Dukedog.

You have several reverse loops in there which will need special handling when wiring up.

DCC is handled by a reverse loop module and DC by a DPDT manual switch arrangement.

Have a read of FAQ4 in the DCC section.

May I ask if the track in the red circles are simple crossovers or double slips? Just thinking about your ability to move between loops. Also would your route across the layout work better the other way around? Marked in blue. R-

forum_image_62b4cd44d2bfc.thumb.png.fa0018138e619066f61031cab3cca6f0.png

Re. Your RLM query, I have purchased from this seller. He is in ROI I believe. The postage is reasonable and the kit is good. I personally had an issue with the pin array on his servo board, but it worked perfectly. R-

The 2 loops are feasible with DCC reverse lop modules but it is these that turn the layout into a more complicated design. I do not have a reverse loop myself, so I have no experience but the conditions around them always put me off. Without those loops, it is a very straight forward DCC layout.

If you want to reverse the direction of a Loco (but not a full train), have you considered a turntable.

Even if you do Roger’s suggested blue, you still have a reverse loop around the sidings bottom left. Then you only need one reverse loop to change the direction of trains. And if you have more than one, you need an RLM for each of them.

Then on that lower reverse loop, you have 2 curved points. These are known derailing magnets for locos and rolling stock, so you might like to consider not using them.

I think you have way too many dead end storage yards! I say this from previous experience!

If it was me, I would completely get rid of that loop that runs through the middle. You only need one reversing loop (also from experience).

I would get rid of the storage yard inside the reverse loop & have several storage loops on that left hand side where you can store full trains. I would probably thin out the number of storage tracks behind the station also.

Whatever you do, before you lay your track permanently, run a lot of trains on it!

After just having another quick look, I certainly wouldn't have the reversing loop connecting back up to the inner main loop either. Anyway, just my opinion/advice...

That build it yourself RLM should be ok as all they are is a phasing (DCC polarity) disparity sensing circuit with a change over relay to flip it automatically.

Make your platforms and sidings as long as possible and if possible arrange an escape route for the loco pulling a rake into a siding, else it means complicated operations to drop the loco, run around and push the rake into place.

The suggestion to run a long fiddle yard of sidings up the left hand side is a good one, rather than the shorter set in the lower loop which could be used for a TT if desired, although you say you want to run trains out and back, not just turn locos.

I used SCARM for my layout design and this has a simple train SIM built in which can be used to prove your layout design operationally. I found several operational glitches in my design which had to be ironed out to make the layout actually work. No good having lots of track on the board if you cannot actually use it effectively. Keep at it - only another few dozen iterations before you can think about track laying.

Only just caught up with this thread and obviously there are many variations. I am sorry but my mouse must have been out drinking with 96RAF's but I am trying to show how you could continue the sidings onto the main lines, there is still a reverse loop - not so pretty but still effective for changing the running direction.forum_image_62b5bb143b10a.png.5a396229a5b55ea64f9658db34e43029.png

Thanks 96RAF

I like the idea of the longer fiddle yard.

I am now confused as to whether or not the reverse loop is a good idea as if i run through the loop I can`t then return to the original direction, so my next question is really is it the done thing when running to just stop and pick the loco and the rake coaches up and turn them round.

sorry if that sounds slightly dumb or do i just put a stand alone reverse loop in and feed that from each oval

forum_image_62b5cc288d104.thumb.png.4db56deb9ad4517e9beeb22e54f5fde0.png

something like this but fed from both ovals

You have both a reverse loop and a Wye which is also a type of reverse loop, so you can run a train through or three point turn it. I would suggest you don’t need both but others may see a bigger picture.

See the Reverse Loop Tutorial in the DCC sticky post if you want to know more about the various types.

Hi Dukedog

What locos are you planning to use on your layout Steam or Modern?

then set your layout plan up on that mode of power

If it was my layout using modern loco power I would do away the reverse loops I would arrange the sidings similar to a fiddle yard, as modern trains are in fixed rakes. There is no need to turn the locos around

If steam then some sort of depot would be needed, a turntable or turning triangle for tender locos. Some home work on the operations of the day in regards to track layout etc. The tracks were more complex back then than today's.

The understanding of how a steam pick up goods train worked in delivering and collecting trucks would help in designing your layout

For a steam era layout I think the reverse loop is a great idea. Locos were changed all the time back in those days. With a reversing loop you can turn complete trains, just the coaches or just the loco. In my experience though a reverse loop is much easier to operate if it doesn't connect to anything else in between. Don't over complicate things.

Also, in my experience, two or three long storage loops are much more useful than a whole heap of dead end sidings.

More practical from an operating viewpoint DD. You still have two reverse loops, the Wye and the tear drop. Both switched sections must be long enough to take your longest train.

Effectively you now only have two storage sidings as the other three are running lines. You may be able to plan more into the white space up north as drawn.

Probably of no interest to this plan but the tear drop reminds me of a layout I once saw that had a circle hidden from view where trains went round and round on their journey until it was time for them to reappear and come back into the station.