Korean War

jopres57

How about an updated 1/48th or 1/72nd scale F-86 Sabre with the original short cord slated wing representing F-86 E’s and early F-86-F’s. The “E” version will require the “V shaped wind screen.

This would also allow Airfix to offer short cord slatted Canadair Sabre 2’s and Sabre 4’s

Tim

The sky raider was an impressive attack plane in its day as well, shame it isn’t well covered.
Rod

The skyraider is definitely overdue a new tooling, if not next year then as soon as possible, or at least a re-release, It was a significant aircraft and I don't think any mainstream manufacturer has produced an up to date kit. Here's hoping.

Can’t think there will be time to develop any of those suggested kits in time for release next year unless they have been under development already.
However your knowledge of Sabres and their differences Tim is impressive. I wish I knew that much about them. I have had a passing interest in them. I understand that some RAF pilots flew them in Korean War, not sure if they made any kills in them.

Hi Rod

Yes, I agree that development of the original slated wing kit would not be ready for next year unless it is already in the works.

I was hoping that the new Airfix Sabre would have been the original slated wing as it covers off so many aircraft. More than 75% of the Sabre 4’s delivered to the RAF had this wing and many stayed in this configuration for their entire RAF service only to be converted to to the “6-3” leading edge wing before being passed on to other airforces. We also need the “V” shaped windscreen for RCAF, Greek and Turkish Sabre 2’s. I guess I need to put this into the 2023 Wishlist.

Thanks for the compliment on my Sabre knowledge. I have a great affection for the Sabre although we didn’t see that much of them in Canada as they were primarily a NATO commitment. Just the OTU, a few Aux Squadrons for a few years and of course the Golden Hawks display team from 1959 to 1963. It is one of best defence procurements that Canada has completed. The RCAF Sabres were the first swept wing NATO fighters in Europe and when the Sabre 5 arrived in February 1954 and the Sabre 6 in April 1955 they were probably the most capable fighters that NATO had in it arsenal.

Here is a good web site on the evolution of the Sabre … http://www.joebaugher.com/usaf_fighters/p86.html

Larry Milberry’s book The Canadair Sabre and Steve Hazell’s War Paint No 40 Canadair & Commonwealth Sabre are both very good as well.

Cheers

Tim