Track Geometry

Michael-782895

Thanks Rob, had all of that. And the track spacing it produces is about 67mm leaving the gap between tracks to accommodate the 48mm wide platform.

I’ve used a different configuration - I’ve used a flex straight 170.76mm long instead of the 8037 and placed that between crossover points. If you use that as the hypotenuse of a right angle triangle with angles 30/60 degrees, you get:

• a horizontal run of 166mm or a standard straight
  • a vertical run of 40mm which, when added to the standard 43mm spacing produced by the points gives you a track spacing of 83mm or a half straight

That means all of your runs and gaps are standard length/height and you can connect up a loop running around the top of the platform in your diagram using standard track pieces for the remainder of the loop.

I think Hornby should consider adding this 170.76 straight to their range.

• 1 year later...

Not meaning to reignite TT8037 discussion (just happy I found this thread using the new forum search!)

Not got either the track pieces or Anyrail to hand at the moment but wondering how the above geometry matches the below.

Screenshot_20240412-224904.png

Just idly playing in rail modeller express and using that 1st radius curve at both ends, a loop is pretty much ok (some minor gaps required in the loop but they do line up) if you use an extended half straight in the mainline and a half straight and quarter straight in the loop. Obviously, a 6th radius curve would work instead of either point,. or you could use an opposing sided point to create a stub/headshunt.

image.png.ebf3ad54465aba2091d793651bc32765.png

image.png.b1a8e3fcffcd16c3a66acbe1baf7dcfe.png

• Like 1

Incidentally, the 2024 catalogue suggests similar 1/4 curves are coming for other radii. One of those might close the gap and align better, as well as being less tight. Presumably the 1/4 R1 is so short that it’s less of an issue for models nominally unable to cope with R1. 

• Like 1

One thing to note here: TT:120 points are “streamline” points with a radius of R6 (compare with OO points which have a radius of R2).  However, by adding the 1/4 R1 on the end of them, you are reducing the effective radius to less than R6.

Consequently, you may have a little more difficulty traversing this composite than the point on its own.