Trackwork

ModelerXYZ

• 1 month later...

The original small radius Jouef double slip was very close to Hornby 1st radius. I have a couple and they work fine. Their system had first radius at 12.75” and the second radius which most of their points and crossings were based on was very very close to Hornby 1st radius, not so bad when you consider their models were HO. They did produce points and crossings based on the very small radius too, most makes of stock find these points a problem due to the very sharp bend but I have been able to run some of my early Tri-ang locos over them without any problems.

The later Jouef points and crossings range was much more to scale and had large radius points and double slips. They can combine with Hornby track but the geometry is very different.

The original points were non-self isolating and the points had a sliding fishplate to isolate or energise the track beyond which meant either the whole layout was live or you had to have switches controlling the feed to different parts of the layout. I have seen people say that the points are broken but they were a different design to what we now consider standard and often simply needed the fishplate to be pushed into place. Very early Jouef track was brass, later plated steel and that suffers from the same corrosion problems that Hornby steel track has suffered from.

All the track in the current Jouef range is the Hornby items we can buy here.