HM7000 - Seems great. What about e-link and RailMaster?

Sincethe60s

I have seen from comments so far that control of the new decoders is possible via Select and Elite. Legacy dongle or not?

However if I install the 21 pin sound Decoder in my loco can I then install the sound profile that I require via Bluetooth using the App?

Then can I use my E-link with RailMaster (and Pro) to control my new locos in the same way as all my existing DCC locos?

I've put my name down for 3 to suit my recently bought 21-pin locos. Good or mistake?

To expand on Fishy’s answer regarding the legacy dongle - this is only required if you want to control existing (non Bluetooth) DCC decoders from the HM7000 app. It is NOT required if you merely want to control the new Bluetooth decoders using an existing DCC controller (for this you simply alter CV12 to DCC mode).

Overall it seems a very good solution if it works as described. Ideal to only have limited numbers of chips and to be able to download the sound files. And a good solution for a small layout or train set.

So I have pre ordered a dongle and sound chip and stay alive to try it out. I don't see it yet as a solution for control of a larger layout. Imagine trying to find particular locos from 100+ on a small screen.

It is sad that I wont be able to use the app to control all my locos using my twin elites & railmaster especially as I bought a new elite last week to replace a faulty one. To have a remote handset would be very useful on occasion if not for normal running of my layout.

I should have been wary that the price from Hornby had come down significantly. I also note that the accessory decoders are on offer at the moment. It suggests to me that they are both likely to disappear totally soon.

HM6010s are the default four port acc decoder for HM7K use, with a single port device likely. They are called PACs - point and accessory controller.

It is expected that the dongle will be able to operate R8247 PADs (point [and signal] accessory decoder) from the app similar to legacy decoders.

Thank you Fishmanoz.

That's all I need at the moment.

Forget the dongle and search for best price of the decoders.

I also agree to be disappointed with RM regarding updates and Loco detection.

I'm coping with RM running pretty stable with my 50 odd locos (not all at the same time!!)

quite a few points, signals and TT display.

Difficult to make a jump to an alternative control system at this time.

I'd like more than 2 columns of controls on RM screen because I can connect a second display to the laptop. Controls on one and layout on the other. Works a treat.

• 2 weeks later...

No

You seem to be asking basically variations of the same question in different locations. I'm sorry but the answer is going to be predominantly no. The currently available eLink is not going to connect to a HM7000 dongle (there is far more involved than just soldering on a R12 socket, the circuit of the eLink would need modifications with new RJ12 interface ICs & associated components and its firmware ammended to suit, and the currently installed firmware is not in the public domain for anybody who has the technical skill and knowledge to modify it) and an eLink cannot function at all without Railmaster software. The eLink was developed specifically for Railmaster and has been previously proven to not be compatible with any other currently available non Railmaster commercial software.

@JES TGU - it isn’t simply a matter of soldering an RJ12 connector on the e-Link’s PCB, because the e-Link would also need its software/firmware updating with the expressnet settings & communication programming.

Additionally Hornby would have to arrange for some kind of support/repair options for users who attempted the DIY upgrade and botched it.

I already explained that although the eLink circuit board has provision for the necessary components, the case needs chopping about and as stated the firmware updating to enable the Xpressnet comms.

I got as far as doing the physical mod but the project was pulled before I got hold of the firmware update. Here the dongle is plugged in to the new socket.

forum_image_63d0f1916eaaa.png.95c68273a991bf7ba45c12f8ae2898ae.png

The subject was mentioned on the recent live Q&A session and it was hinted that a new module may be introduced to take the eLinks place but with Bluetooth included. Watch this space.

@P-H

eLink comms is a matter of getting the handshake right. Stingray uses 2 x eLinks for his hand written TGG software package spoken about elsewhere on the forum. I use an Elite and an eLink to run it same as my RM set-up.

@P-H
eLink comms is a matter of getting the handshake right. Stingray uses 2 x eLinks for his hand written TGG software package spoken about elsewhere on the forum.

Precisely why I wrote commercial software in bold, as I was aware from reading your other posts that forum member Stingray had produced compatible custom eLink software which is not commercially available in the public domain.