Hornby 7000 how many throttles can you have on a iPad

Paul -1265463

As many as you have locos but only one at a time.

This screen grab shows my Engine Shed with all locos, some with HM7000 decoders fitted and some legacy decoder fitted locos which will be assigned to and controlled via the HM7040 dongle.

forum_image_63c2b8b8a6b34.thumb.png.6a131e37556be1bc1299963c319bad8a.png

This screen grab shows the throttle control screen with the scrollable ribbon of locos along the top and also yet to be allocated accessory control from the same screen. Note the 3 pages of function buttons imported with the sound profile.

forum_image_63c2b8bb9f5c7.thumb.png.455e8e3ce4bc0320c65a1e54cf8fa1d3.png

Apologies for the dark screen but that is the only available theme for now.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All

Sorry newbie to DCC question

Is it possible to have a train running on a loop while I control another to do say shunting ops..... on 1 ipad ? Or do I need 2 if you can only have 1 Throttle

sorry if this is such a basic question

thanks for all your advice most appreciated

Is it possible to have a train running on a loop while I control another to do say shunting ops..... on 1 ipad ?

Yes. This is the beauty of DCC in general. Once you have told a loco to do something. It carries on doing that until you tell it to do something different. So you call up the loco A throttle on your iPad and tell it to go round the loop at a set speed. You can now call up a different loco throttle B on the same iPad and use it for your example shunting duties. Loco A meanwhile continues merrily going round the loop until you call up throttle A again to stop it.

Or do I need 2 if you can only have 1 Throttle

The question of using two iPads concurrently has come up before. The previous responses given to that question have indicated it is possible but with significant limitations to doing it and it is not really recommended with the currently proposed HM7000 APP.

Yes you can run all your locos from one iPad or if desired you can link some locos to one iPad and some to another iPad, but you cannot simply swap them back and forth between iPads. There is as you see earlier in the Engine Shed grab an Active or Inactive flag, which is part of how the handover works, once set up.

This is another screen grab of the throttle control screen seen earlier. There is a ribbon of locos along the top which as I said before scrolls side to side then you select the loco to run. Any loco running will continue to do so if you choose another loco. You can also control accessories from this screen but I do not have any set up here.

forum_image_63d038a05a53d.thumb.png.5cad8df5121a98058a444c07d90f9146.png

• 2 weeks later...

Hello.

when I first heard of this new system I imagined having an iPad set up as above as a main controller which I would use, but then have a couple of locos assigned to my lads phone so that he could run them independently.

Is this not possible?

ps I appreciate switching control back from the “slave” phone to the main iPad would be a pain, but that’s not what I’d want to do. He’d be either dashing about with a 125 or shunting with an 08 whilst I’d be running my A1’s & A4’s

@Peachy - you will certainly be able to link different locos to different devices (96RAF has already indicated this). So you can certainly link a loco or 2 to your son’s phone for him to play with.

The only issue is with your concept of master & slave (that won’t be supported) - so you will not be able to override his device with yours and your device will not be able to control his locos (without their decoders being reset & reassigned to your device).

• 2 weeks later...

So basically if you had 4 locos with the bt decoder and 4 iPads, you could link 1 loco per iPad and have 4 controllers for those said locos, sure that is a lot of iPads but having independent train control without having to readdress all the time to get back to a train and so on would be pretty good.

You can hand over control iPad to iPad but not on the fly.

First you would have to disconnect and unlink the decoder from device 1 and relink it to device 2.

These locos could be pre-set up in your Engine Shed and the decoder reassigned as above. This system would be workable with two operators for say putting a loco on shed then back out into traffic again.