Request for the "List"

Sometimes, my posts are rejected for use of a banned word. [504 gateway] Now with the list of banned words not published, I am forced to guess which word is causing the issue. This is then compounded by the fact that I am not British and certain words that are banned have no such definition or usage on this side of the pond.

I submitted "Her Majesty's Saloon" 3× before I stumbled onto the word needing change. I read, re-read and re-read, trying to guess what the word might be. Painful. Add in some images, yikes!!

If the moderators could be persuaded to send the "list" to cognizant adults, I think this would help. I do not want to publish banned words and I have no intention of debating which words are banned. I just would like to know what they are, so I can avoid them without agony!!

Bee

The banned word is highlighted in yellow in your post (or at least it was), giving you the opportunity to change it.

If that is not the case now it shall be flagged up to IT for action.

The list is enormous and contains words that us mere mortals should never see, and as such Hornby will not publish it. Seriously the moderators did vet the list as it was many many moons ago and put up a case for lots of banned words to be binned as they were in common use these days and many had a railway context as well as their naughty meaning.

As a test, I have just tried posting a word I would very highly presume to be banned. As 96RAF stated, my test word was indeed bounced with an error message at the top of the screen saying it was banned, and the banned word in the post highlighted in yellow giving me the opportunity to change it.

@WATB why not try replicating this test for yourself so that you can see what to expect in future, i.e recognising the significance of the yellow highlight, assuming you can now see it in your test.

However that said. On past historical experience, I have found that many times the alternative words I have tried have also been on the banned word list and bounced back in yellow. It has then been a case of 'trial n error' till I find a word that is not banned, causing the yellow highlight to be removed and the post accepted.

Banned words are indeed highlighted in yellow, and are not always meaning the horrible things they are thought to mean. For example, there is a type of file which has a naughty word in the name, you guys know the one, but I can't call it a (banned word type) file without it being banned.

XYZ

Forum members are reminded that forum rules state.

No profanity or foul language. This includes using stars (*) or other characters instead of letters. Any un-called for language will be removed and repeated offences will be subject to further Admin action.

R-

When I inadvertently meander across the line, using what appear to be innocuous words, here is the only thing visible

504 Gateway error

No post, no yellow marks. Zip.

If I attempt to go back to the previous page, which includes the box where my text would go, I find my text is vaporized.

I cannot go forward from the 504 error and refreshing the page has no effect.

Result: total guess work. I wish it did function as you guys tell me, I would appreciate knowing!!

Samsung Galaxy S9. Android operating system. For the IT guys.

Copy your text before posting and that will allow you to paste it back for editing.

You should also consider that the US language is based on UK English, as you will obviously know of course, and some words may not be acceptable due to the subtle differences with certain words.

The profanity filter is based upon UK English and not US.

Further, I have never known profanity lists being published here as that rather defeats the whole point of them.

Hail Caesar!

I do appreciate that tip. After the first time I had my text swallowed by the void, I learned to type my text in another tool and only approach the Hornby forum with my text under control elsewhere. Copy + paste is my friend! So I can readily hunt through my text for potential issues.

In one case, I had placed American slang for haphazardly. Hornby rejected my post repeatedly (no hints at what the banned word might be) until it finally dawned on me that the word I used for haphazardly was English slang for, well, something else. Hornby's filter became immediately happy.

The subtle differences make the guessing very hard indeed. If I could see the banned word, I'd have no issue at all. Crafting phrases that say the same thing, the use of synonyms would easily get me past the barrier.

I really do want to comply with not only just the exact words, but the intent and spirit of Hornby's desire for a friendly environment.

Bee

PS At one point in my life, I had several roman coins with Quinctilius' countermark struck on them.