USB Cable Problem

I am trying to get my new computer running windows 11 to recognise my Elite that was connected to my previous system using windows XP. I am using a USB cable that i've used for a number of years. When i connect to the PC there is an audible bleep but then nothing seems to happen. There is no message of" found new hardware"

Do I need a new and different cable? If so can someone please give details of type etc.

many thanks

steamfreak

Hi steamfreak

I seem to remember that yesterday you reported you had managed to solve your problem or maybe that was just downloading RailMaster.

I don't use Windows 11 but the way I always start up my system is to plug the USB cable into the PC and Elite with everything turned off. Then start up the Elite and when it has gone completely through its start up procedure, then and only then, turn on the PC.

I do not believe that a new USB cable would make any difference as long as it worked well with XP. I am still using the same USB cable on my W10 PC that I did when using XP.

If you recall. I advised you to read FAQ1 located in the FAQ sticky thread when I answered your other RM download query yesterday. I advised you to read it before installing RM. It would have helped (will help) resolve your Elite connection issue.

P.S. You must NOT use the Elite XP driver included with the RM software on a Windows 11 PC. You must allow the Elite to download and install the Windows driver from the Microsoft driver repository.

@P-H

Have you got that right. I have an Elite sitting on Com 3 and an eLink sitting on Com 4. I take either out of circuit because it fails and swap it for a new one that has never been connected to a PC before and they work. How does that MS driver get onto the new controller. Asking for a friend.

@96RAF

I don't quite understand your question. But I suspect you have misunderstood what I wrote.

To reiterate my previous posted P.S. statement with more (excessive) detail.

What I am saying is that the driver that is included on the CD and also appears listed in the RM Driver Folder that is created when you install RM from a download, is the Windows 98, 2000, XP and Vista driver.

When installed correctly on a Windows 98, 2000, XP or Vista PC, the supplied RM driver appears in Windows Device Manager listed as 'R8214 Hornby Elite' (refer to pages 16 & 21 in the RM manual). This driver (which also supports an eLink on pre Windows 7 PCs) should not be used on Windows 7, 8, 10 or 11. On these later Windows versions, you have to allow Windows 'Plug n Play' to detect an eLink and/or an Elite being physically connected and automatically download the 'USB Serial Port' driver from Microsoft's driver repository. This will then appear in Windows Device Manager as 'USB Serial Port (ComN)' where N is the com port the installation has assigned. This Microsoft driver is common to both the eLink and the Elite and used by both controller types. Once the correct driver .SYS file has been initially installed into Windows. Then anytime you connect an eLink and/or an Elite controller OR a physical eLink/Elite replacement to the Windows RM PC, then Windows will load the .SYS file into 'Device Manager' to provide Windows OSI 7 Layer data communication between RM and the attached controller(s). Where two controllers are connected then two copies of the .SYS file are loaded into Windows, one for each differently assigned Com port. It is not loaded into the actual controller hardware.

@P-H

I know that but I posed the question for the benefit of anyone who from your initial reply might think the driver was loaded onto the controller. Your further explanation confirms this is not so but that it is loaded into windows for the com-port to use.

Just on the installation order as covered by Paul - if you connect your controller first, Elite or eLink, and ensure it is running with the correct Windows driver, then when you install RM, it can load all of the default settings for that controller.

This will minimise the amount of setting up you will need to do in RM yourself, both in the Setup tab and in editing the INI file.

ALL images are sent to a hidden queue to await moderator approval. Once you click the save post button, you have to scroll up to the top of the page to see a small print message telling you that your post has been sent for approval. Unfortunately, unless you scroll up the page most new posters just don't notice the message.

Hi all

I have no idea how or why but railmaster and elite now seem to be communicating with each other. i will give it a more extensive test tomorrow.

many thanks for all your help and suggestions.

Perhaps there is a Railmaster fairy after all

best regards

steamfreak

Hi all

I have no idea how or why but railmaster and elite now seem to be communicating with each other. i will give it a more extensive test tomorrow.

many thanks for all your help and suggestions.

Perhaps there is a Railmaster fairy after all

best regards

steamfreak

There is most certainly an RM fairy but her name is Murphy!

Your DM screen grab shows us that you seem to have the correct device driver loaded for the Elite, on Com3. Given Elite and RM are now connecting, RM Setup must show Com3 too.

So given they weren’t talking and now they are, what happened/did you do in between?

Oddly, in the posted screen shot, the driver entry says "USB Serial Device (COM3)". In the RM manuals and on my Windows 10 RM PC, my Device Manager controller entry says "USB Serial Port (COM3)".

So either Microsoft have changed the driver name displayed in Windows 11, or that is not the eLink / Elite driver. I suspect it is more likely a W11 name change, but it is something to check.

This is something that is easy to check. With the controller connected and that entry displayed in DM, unplug the controller USB lead and see if the entry disappears, then conversely, reappears when the controller USB lead is plugged back in and an audible bleep is heard. If it does disappear and reappear then it is indeed the driver for the controller.

Could it possibly be that your controller now works because you plugged it into a different USB port on your PC. Each time you use a different port, a new different COM port number is allocated. Plugging it in to a different port may have allocated a port number that now matched the one configured in RM. RM is old Windows XP software and doesn't keep track of changing port numbers in modern Windows very well. This is one reason why there is a pull down port selection box in the RM System Settings screen.

Hi all

Having tested it ,all appears well. I have still no idea why it suddenly started working. As far as I know I always used the same port. It remains a complete mystery to me.

I'm just pleased it now works.

once again many thanks for the help and advice

best regards

steamfreak

Hi all

Having tested it ,all appears well. I have still no idea why it suddenly started working. As far as I know I always used the same port. It remains a complete mystery to me.

I'm just pleased it now works.

once again many thanks for the help and advice

best regards

steamfreak