Hollybush Railway - TT120 layout photos

Dave the Busker

8 hours ago, Dave the Busker said:

That's just Ernest of E. Brumfitt and Son locking up for the night. Son left early for the R.E.M. gig advertised on the poster by the workshop and left him to it 😂
(Going by the poster, that would be the 1998 Up tour, at which time my dad and grandpa did work as picture framers in a workshop a bit like that, and I did help out on a Saturday job from time to time, and did go to that R.E.M. tour at the Stirling Castle date. Love how much personal history you can work into a model railway!)

How did you make / where did you get your posters?

7 minutes ago, Postman On The Rails said:

How did you make / where did you get your posters?

Made them myself. Found some textures online that worked for a wooden frame, then the posters themselves are a mix of things found on google (like the R.E.M. tour poster) and album cover art by my band and friend's bands. There's even one for a 'Monsters Of Rock' gig graffitied 'in church hall if wet...' for a Half Man Half Biscuit reference!

• Like 1

@Dodge1965, stop pushing your luck with your comments.  You know what I mean. 

I went out of my way to help you with your username and I am beginning to regret it.

An option available to us is to require that ALL your posts are approved before they appear.

12 minutes ago, RDS said:

@Dodge1965, stop pushing your luck with your comments.  You know what I mean. 

I went out of my way to help you with your username and I am beginning to regret it.

An option available to us is to require that ALL your posts are approved before they appear.

I'm sorry u feel that way. I was trying to be funny. I guess i failed.

Please feel free to stop all my posts.   Sorry @Dave the Busker Love the update.

On 23/03/2024 at 14:24, Rallymatt said:

I did this on mine when if first came, made a small card bulkhead and set some lead shot in Scenic Cement, the area behind the radiator and then the cab floor up to height of the windows. That additional little bit of weight makes a big difference, I have since also fitted a Zimo decoder and Lais stay alive which takes the model to another level of smooth snail pace operation. 

@Rallymatt Just getting back to this. Did you just insert the pellets through the open cab window and possibly squirt some adhesive in to keep them in place? I've got some 3mm ball bearings which I'm hoping to use, but the blighters have a mind of their own and seem to propel themselves at great speed whenever I attempt to pick one up! Thanks.

Pretty much that how I did the cab ones, front end I made a small bulkhead from car and left a tab open and filled, the glued the tab down. I used Rocket Card Glue to hold the lead shot, it stays tacky. Some have suggested caution when glueing lead shot as a gas can be produced that ‘blows the plastic body’ 

• Thanks 1

After quite a bit of fiddling around with things, the 08 is running better than it ever has. Relaid some track so it's as level as possible, pinned points down as well as gluing, tweaked pickups so they're always in contact, added some weight, and after finding it was still a little jerky in reverse, put a drop of sewing machine oil to lubricate the gears. Now it'll crawl smoothly through the points in both directions even though it's DC and has no power bank or digital controls.large.0AB8F8A4-69D2-411E-86D8-1508D057A4DF_1_201_a.jpeg.b36a3fbea7a8036866e84ade1c16224d.jpeg

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Dave the Busker said:

After quite a bit of fiddling around with things, the 08 is running better than it ever has. Relaid some track so it's as level as possible, pinned points down as well as gluing, tweaked pickups so they're always in contact, added some weight, and after finding it was still a little jerky in reverse, put a drop of sewing machine oil to lubricate the gears. Now it'll crawl smoothly through the points in both directions even though it's DC and has no power bank or digital controls.large.0AB8F8A4-69D2-411E-86D8-1508D057A4DF_1_201_a.jpeg.b36a3fbea7a8036866e84ade1c16224d.jpeg

Glad to hear you are making progress with the shunter.. Love the pic..

• Like 1

Sounds like good progress with your 08. I set up a loop of track to play with my 08 earlier and also converted Bonny back to DC to join the fun. The 08 was definitely struggling and got jabbed a few times over the points! Had some fun with an Inglenook shunting puzzle. 
I was watching your video earlier with all your locos running, it’s lovely to see a DC layout as I think I might have to go back to DC I don’t think I can afford all the locos I want and decoders! Also not a fan of surgery to get power banks in…! 
Love the layout and well done on getting the 08 going so smoothly, keep making videos please… I’ve spent hours watching TT modellers today.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Dave the Busker said:

Cheers Dodge and Taunmarc! Aye, small wheelbase locos like the 08 can be a bit of a pain to get running over the points smoothly, hope you can get yours fettled, glad to hear you're having fun with the Inglenook 🙂 

Dave,

Do you have drivers in the shunter?

2 minutes ago, Dave the Busker said:

Not yet, but I'm planning on getting drivers in all the trains at some point.

I have a few done, but like you, i have the others to do..  Not seen many drivers online, i had to chop loads off for the HST drivers, as the seats seemed so narrow.. Or maybe i need to put the drivers on a diet!!!   If you find any good one, please post up...   Thanks Dave.

Edited by Dodge1965

I believe it was Dave who mentioned these earlier in the thread: TT Scale set of 12 Locomotive Crew Steam Era | Moor View Models

I have a set, I have a crew (well the top half) in my 2 class 08's, haven't yet got round to populating the A1/3/4's yet !

If you need Diesel Drivers: Modern Driver Figures — Smart Models or Diesel Driver Figure — Smart Models

Edited by Too Tall

Yeah, those are the figures I've got, really like them. I think I'll need to get another set to work the locos, as the first ones I got all seemed to find work in the factory. Speaking of which, since it's a total washout of a weekend I've set myself a wee project to upgrade the factory buildings with Metcalfe kits. Here's the first part done, with a couple of the Moor View figures loading some oil drumslarge.DCE34835-6000-494D-8540-7E9ADD695CBF_1_201_a.jpeg.ef3744f05014b40212fc5a50979dff22.jpeg

1 hour ago, Dave the Busker said:

Aye. I love the Noch figures, beautifully detailed but a bit pricey. The Moor View set comes in at £1 a person plus postage which isn't too bad.

I used Moorview in the HST, but far too fat they were..