How many powerbases for 4 lane digital layout

John-347103

I am currently constructing a 4 lane digital layout based roughly on the Scalextric plan of the circuit of Varano. It shows a requirement for 2 off power bases (C7042). Is this correct and if so is any special wiring involved as presumably one unit becomes a slave of the other?

If I was to opt for the alternative ArcPro option would I need 2 off power units (C8435) and again is any special wiring involved to link the two? And finally, when are you expecting ArcPro to be back in stock?

Thanks

Hi There,

I am pretty sure this has been touched on before. The search is a bit crude sometimes but maybe give it a try as there are other better digital racers out there.

I can't believe that is a digital layout. No digital layout can handle 2 power bases. (see below) It is likely an analog layout.

One would argue that a 4-lane digital layout really does not make much sense. The very nature of digital means that you have 6 cars in two lanes which some would argue is the closest thing to real racing you can get at home. If one were to attempt it it would have to be done considering the following:

I haven never used a C7042 but the digital aspects of it are more or less the same for ARC PRO so I can speak to that:

1. Lap counting and timing can only go through 1 powerbase and 1 instance of the APP: You have to feed the cars through the 2-lane power base. You can of course use the left- and right-handed pit lanes to expand to 4-lane after and after the Powerbase but you will always have to funnel them passed the powerbase.
  2. If you read the manual you will see that pit stops have to happen either before or after the powerbase. Circumventing the powerbase means lost laps.
  3. The only use case I can think of for going "4-lane" would be if you wanted to race more than 6 cars. You would have to set up two circuits that are physically separate. The rails do not only transmit power but also signals and information. Combining power bases will cause these to "argue" and it will not work. You can change the channels the ARC PRO use so that you can have two power supplies in the same room and having two apps running but you are really running two separate races. If one were to do this then you would have to make either 2 layouts that mirror each other or an "inside" and "outside" layout. After a race you would have to compare the results. This is fairly easy as ARC PRO can send you the results for example by e-mail. To keep the racing fair you would have race on each layout just like analog racers do but given the variables of being able to change lanes in digital as well as the possibility of more contact this really doesn't make it a perfect comparison.

For all those reason if you really feel the need for 4 lanes it is best to stick to one powerbase and funnel all the cars through that, expanding and contracting as it were before and after using pit lane pieces. What little I know about the C7042 I believe confirms the same.

Personally I love digital because I can get the most action in the smallest space. The tightness of the course and the tactics involved add an aspect that I personally feel is missing in pure analog. That doesn't mean I don't like analog, it has its good aspects as well but I personally like digital a lot.

Regarding the power requirements: Any layout over 10 meters and/or if you race more than 3 cars will require a second power supply. You can also try adding jumper cables if you are doing a very large layout. Those can be made from readily available supplies. Take a piece of track that has the tab on it for a jump cable to an electronics store and they can sell you items in packs that allow you to make your own.

On availability: There are many stockists who likely have the ARC PRO as well as the power supplies. I think there are alternative power supplies from Toshiba (made for laptops) that will work but I can't be sure... again, maybe a search would help.

One note: I am aware of digital systems that can allow more than 2 lanes but they are not very common and are expensive.

Good luck!

Thanks for the reply but I'm now confused.

I'm using Scalextric plans book issue 10. There are two 4 lane plans for varano and one of them is digital. It show 2 powerbases and lane switching between all 4 lanes. There is no funneling. Why would Scalextric produce a plan that won't work.

Probably not worth sending a picture as I have scribbled all over it as part of my planning. I have also decided to go with your advice and revert to a 2 lane circuit of my own design. I have tried to find an Arc Pro but the only ones I can find are 2nd hand or from e bay. Will new stock be available from Scalextric again?

Hi John,

In 2019 when that book came out there was a different management in place and I reckon they didn`t give a flying squirrel that the layouts just don`t make sense or even worse simply cannot work.

I have talked to a couple of guys who race digital all day long and they confirmed that ARC PRO cannot do 4-lane without major modifications and even then, there is no APP that can show you the results.

Of the powerbase alone is hard to get maybe you should buy one of the sets that include it`? The layout you envision is certainly large so getting a set that includes lane changers, possibly pit lanes plus the powerbase is probably more cost effective.

You can sell the cars if you don`t want them or cannibalize them for their digital chips (the digital cars in sets are trickier though as the chips are molded into the floor pan of the car...).

I also couldn`t find any in the UK or the EU right now... I am sure they will become available again soon...

Andy - I really appreciate your support and advice.

I did search for digital sets but gave up after the first few all said Pre Order. Anyway I've pre ordered one from Scalextric.

With regards power - I understand that the Arc Pro will need 2 power packs (my circuit will be about 30 metres long) but I am a bit confused about 'jumpers'. What are these jumping from? Do I need a 3rd power source? Please advise.

And again, many thanks

I'd say if you wanted 4 lanes, then go analog at which point you could have two power stations, one for each pair. I agree with Andy, spreading out digital cars on 4 lanes sort of defeats the purpose of some contact and passing etc. The number of lane changers and single lane track you'd need to allow for lane changing across 4 lanes would be really expensive and the lane changers themselves require more power as well. I had a blast with my 4 lane HO setup. We would race where each driver had to race 2 minutes on each lane and switch. Don't think the ARC software supports that, but I think you could get third party PC software to do it.

Jumpers are just cable that connect the rails near the powerbase to rails farthest away.

On most track pieces there is a small, "tombstone"-shaped tab that you slide an electrical connector onto and then connect the other end to a piece of track farther away.

It is vital to make sure you are connecting rails on the same "circuit", e.g. right rail, inner lane to right rail, inner lane.

What this does is it helps the power flow around the track better.

I am sure there are some youtube videos that can explain it better...

• 2 months later...

Regarding power for a digital track. The C7024 digital powerbase is supplied in sets, with the capability and controller sockets for 4 cars.

I quote the reply by AP "Any layout over 10 meters and/or if you race more than 3 cars will require a second power supply."

Please demonstrate how a second power supply can be connected to the C7024 to run the 4 cars that it has connections for.

Regarding power for a digital track. The C7024 digital powerbase is supplied in sets, with the capability and controller sockets for 4 cars.
I quote the reply by AP "Any layout over 10 meters and/or if you race more than 3 cars will require a second power supply."
Please demonstrate how a second power supply can be connected to the C7024 to run the 4 cars that it has connections for.

There are respective jacks in the power supply for 2 power packs and up to 6 controllers. ARC PRO also has 2 jacks and buttons to control up to 6 wireless controllers:

https://uk.scalextric.com/community/advice/app-race-control

• 4 months later...

There is a way to use 4 lanes all the way around your layout using Arc Pro. This requires two Arc Pro powerbases one of which will be come a donor and then a slave unit for lap counting etc. You are best off to hit a search engine and for Scalextric gray wire modification for 4 lane digital. If you follow the links you will see how to do this.