TXS decoder failed already?

meatloaf

Sadlly my decoder seems to have stopped working correctly so will probably need to be returned. Didnt work great in a railroad 37 stop start stop start but the loco wasnt great on DC either so blamed the loco. So i installed it in a class 20 where it worked great for a few hours. Then without warning it shot off at full speed and wouldnt respond to the controller so had to cut power to the layout. Now with power restored the sound works when stationary but move to speed step 1 and it shoots off again for a second then stops. Does this repeatedly. So deffo an issue there as this loco runs perfectly with a normal decoder.

Without the app i cant load a sound file to it to see if it fixes the issue so looks like its a return for a refund - along with the class 37 i purchased at the same time.

These will have been tested on a number of locos for literally thousands of hours. Yes there may be the odd one that fails. I installed an 8 pin and it’s working really well. Don’t forget they will need to be put in an insulation sleeve to ensure no damage to the board from shorts etc.

These will have been tested on a number of locos for literally thousands of hours. Yes there may be the odd one that fails. I installed an 8 pin and it’s working really well. Don’t forget they will need to be put in an insulation sleeve to ensure no damage to the board from shorts etc.

No mention of that in the instructions but thankfully im not daft enough to let the decoder touch the metal chassis block so put inulating tape on the chassis block

Can’t be DC runaway as that is disabled by default in CV29.

It was on DCC not DC

You obviously do not understand what DC runaway is.

A decoder that is enabled to run on DC, can if it is under DCC control and loses the signal, then revert to DC running mode. The problem being is the DCC voltage is seen as the full 15Volts so the loco speeds off at max chat.

That is why most decoders are set to have DC running disabled.

By the way which controller are you using and what is its firmware revision.

Can’t be DC runaway as that is disabled by default in CV29.

It was on DCC not DC

You obviously do not understand what DC runaway is.
A decoder that is enabled to run on DC, can if it is under DCC control and loses the signal, then revert to DC running mode. The problem being is the DCC voltage is seen as the full 15Volts so the loco speeds off at max chat.
That is why most decoders are set to have DC running disabled.
By the way which controller are you using and what is its firmware revision.

Im using a gaugemaster prodigy dcc01. Firmware no idea but its less than 6 months old as they were out of stock for what seemed like forever.

After several attempts to reset CV8 to 8 it seems to be running ok again.

So lets check its not me causing an issue...

The test class 20 has a metal chassis so to insulate the decoder i put a strip of insulating tape between the decoder and the chassis to avoid a short. I did consider putting it in the anti static bag it was packed in but didnt want to risk it overheating

Its quite a snug fit when the body goes back on. Just checking im not causing it to overheat as its going to be a far more snug fit in the 08.

Thanks RAF.. I was curious because it can sometimes leave a residue when removed and I wondered if this would invalidate a warranty should you return it

A single layer wrap is suggested, I.e. Do not wrap it up in many layers like a mummie. Original Hornby advice for insulation of old decoders was to use Sellotape which does leave a sticky goo especially if subject to heat.