Automated sounds triggering DC v DCC

JamesRoc

Not sure where to post this but hopefully general discussion is ok.

Some locomotive manufacturers allow their DCC sound fitted engines to operate on an analogue DC layout while also having a function where different sounds will trigger automatically without user input as the train progresses the layout. This is a handy feature to have on analogue and I was wondering if any DCC digital controllers allow this automatic feature also or do all the sounds still have to be triggered individually and manually?

Kind regards,

James

In DCC, these advanced features are designed into the decoder, therefore in principle independant of the DCC controller used to control it.

But be aware, not ALL sound decoders have these advanced features. So you must double check the decoder specifications before making a purchase commitment.

I suggest that the correct forum would have been the Hornby DCC one, so if you lose visibility of your thread here, look to the DCC one as a mod may move it there if you don't move it there yourself using the 3 dot edit menu. The reason for suggesting the DCC forum, is that you have to start with a DCC Decoder even if powering on DC.

Not necessarily. This is not a commonly included feature and would be very dependent upon the manufacturer implementation. Each and every decoder you considered purchasing would need to have the specification researched.

Thinking logically, in DC there is no real control of a decoder such that any spot sound functions under DC provided by the manufacturer would HAVE to have some sort of automated triggering. This is not necessarily so with DCC as the manufacturer would IMO assume a high level of manual DCC control of spot sounds via a controller.

There is an example however of your requirement under DCC control, as the new Hornby TXS decoders have a CV to switch on an element of automatic spot sound triggering under DCC control. Personally. I see this as a feature that allows the operator to focus on stop starting and speed control rather than being distracted by manually operating spot sounds as well. But as a DCC decoder, this new decoder by Hornby is very advanced. Someone with greater knowledge of TXS than me can comment on whether this DCC spot sound automation feature extends to operation under DC.

For comparison, Hornby's previous TTS sound decoder had no DC sound capability at all.

TXS will not play sounds in DC mode. Note DC mode is not the same as powering the TXS decoder from a DC supply.

Those sound decoders that do play on DC usually only play a basic background engine/steam noise and some may have additional sounds sequenced at start and stop.

As Paul says it's totally dependent on the decoder's design. Automatic sounds are there to give DC users a little more than just the basic running chuff/brum/whine sound for their money, so you *may* get things like the horn/whistle sounding as the loco moves off, maybe a brake squeal when stopping, and sometimes random pump/compressor sounds etc. On DCC you're usually expected to sound the whistle and the spot sounds yourself as desired.

With my limited fleet of N gauge sound fitted locos I do get brake squeal on DCC if stopping suddenly, and yes sometimes automatic compressor or cab chat cuts in while the loco is stationary for a longer period. They're mostly ESU or D&H decoders in my locos I think - I don't go out specifically to buy sound locos as it's not something I'm bothered about. The ones I've acquired have been bargains for the price of a non-sound loco. The D&H decoders (factory fitted by Minitrix) tend NOT to produce any sound at all on DC anyway.