Elite Connection with Rail Master

I have been using an Elite DCC for the last couple of years and now have acquired a Rail Master. Have been having trouble in getting the rail master reading the data on the elite. There is a cable running from the rail track to the track terminals of the Elite i can cannot find any diagrams where these are connected to while downloading data and where are they to be connected after down load. Thanks in anticipation. Diolch yn Fawr.

I believe that the essence of your rather vague question is how do you interface the Elite controller to the RailMaster software. If this is not your question, then please expand with more detail as to exactly what your question is, as your post as written unfortunately lacks clarity, particularly with the references to 'downloading'. Downloading what?

First of all, the physical connection between the Elite controller and the track remains exactly the same as you have been currently using without any modification.

You need to source a USB Cable that has a Type A USB connector at one end and a USB Type B connector at the other end. This historically has been the type of cable used with Printers & Flat Bed Scanners and is readily available in all the normal computer and electronics retailers both in the high street and online i.e ebay and Amazon. Search for "Printer USB 2.0 Cable".

You use the USB Cable to connect the Elite to a free USB port on the PC.

If this is the first time the Elite has been connected, then Windows Plug n Play should detect the Elite and offer to install the 'driver'. For further guidance regarding driver installation read and follow the relevant sections of FAQ1 located in the Railmaster FAQ Index pinned sticky thread.

With the driver installed and the Elite powered up, run the Railmaster installer file (rm_setup.exe) to install Railmaster. With RM installed, follow the further guidance in FAQ1 to complete the setting up.

Once RM is installed and correctly communicating with the Elite and you are happy that RM is operating correctly in its 'evaluation mode', enter the 'license key' to convert the evaluation copy of RM into a fully functional licensed copy.

The RM installer saves various PDF manuals to the PC Windows Desktop, read them for the details as the guidance above relating to RM is just the edited highlights.

P.S. You say you have aquired RailMaster, but not given any indication where from.

If it is secondhand and the previous owner has been using it, then be aware that the license key is NOT transferable to a new user and this will result in the key not being recognised. The key is very heavily policed to prevent transfer of ownership and there are no workarounds to this.

If you have aquired Railmaster on a CD. Then if (when installed from the CD) the installer offers you the option to update the RM program then DECLINE the update. If you choose to update the evaluation copy and it transpires that the evaluation copy is more than 90 days older than the current update version, the RM software will not run until it is activated with a license key. Only choose to update RM once you are happy that the evaluation copy is performing correctly and you are ready to activate it with the key.

Just for clarity, you say you are having trouble getting RM to read data on the Elite. What type of data are you expecting to receive. The Elite is a fairly dumb device which only acts as a go-between twixt RM which is sending your screen commands and Elite which is passing those to the track as a DCC signal.

Mods, can I suggest you amend the title by deleting “DCC/“ and inserting “Connection with”.

Paul, while I can see your logic, I’m still surprised you are suggesting to reject the option to update. Personally, if I had a CD as part of my RM purchase, I’d be leaving it in its case and instead downloading and installing the latest from the link. I no longer have anything that will play a CD anyway.

fishy, i agree with PH. I always decline updates until i know what they contain. When i originally got RM, running, with help of half, the world, the first update, messed it up, and since t5hen i have been vary wary. My rm, is still not totally up to date, but runs like a clock.

Paul, while I can see your logic, I’m still surprised you are suggesting to reject the option to update.

Fishman, there is a historic issue reported a few times on this forum where a 'user' has got hold of an old CD and used it to install RM. RM then reports that a later version is available and gives the option to install the later update.

The 'user' says yes, and updates the older version of RM, RM then reports that the 90 Day evaluation period has elapsed and refuses to run. The only fix for this issue is to activate RM with a valid key.

My post is not saying don't update (and I do agree with you entirely that ignoring the CD and installing from a download is the preferred option) I was just pointing out, that if the 'user' was to install from the CD it would be prudent to delay any offered update until such time as the 'user' had an opportunity to evaluate the evaluation copy thereby not wasting a key that once used couldn't be sold on if they then decided that RM was not the product for them.

For information, the 90 day issue was first reported when version 1.7x was the current release and the forum user reporting the issue had used a 1.69 version CD. The 1.69 version would have ran perfectly for evaluation purposes but unfortunately the O.P invoked the update offer to update to version 1.7x whilst still in 'Evaluation' mode. RM on next start displayed the 90 Day has elapsed error message and wouldn't run, even though it had only been hours since the initial CD installation. RM knew that the 1.7x version had been released more than 90 Days since the 'end' of 1.69 and seemed to use this chronological data to decide whether the 90 Days had expired or not, rather than looking at the actual date that the CD had been used to install RM 1.69 that would have been logged in Windows.

Therefore in the specific scenario of this thread where the source of the RM installer is not being stated, I was just erring on the side of caution.

Thanks RDS, no secrets in titles please.

Paul and John (Yelrow), agree with caution and I understood the logic around evaluation periods, however:

• I think others will benefit from the longer explanation on CD use, particularly given the recent thread on installation without a CD drive
  • previous updates have on more than one occasion proved to be buggy and we were lucky to have Chris Saf to check them out for us at the time. However, current latest has proven to be robust and include fixes for previous problems for more than 12 months since it was released and everyone, including you John, would do well to be using it

My only problem with downloading RM has been Windows security getting in the way and refusing to be by-passed. I struggle to find a way to get past it and next time it’s back to playing it’s old ‘no can do’ tricks. No wonder I use TGG instead.

In my original initial reply to your question on the previous thread page I wrote and I quote.

"For further guidance regarding driver installation read and follow the relevant sections of FAQ1 located in the Railmaster FAQ Index pinned sticky thread."

The stated FAQ1 is the first clickable link in Fishmans reply above. Therefore the information you need had already been posted in this thread you have started.

There are many more FAQs in the pinned sticky thread that both supplement the Railmaster manual and go some way to making the manual make more sense.

For example, there are FAQs in that pinned sticky 'RailMaster FAQ Index' thread for adding a loco to the Railmaster throttle list (roster) and others relating to configuring Accessory Decoders to operate points etc that includes some guidance on creating a track plan. Read ALL the FAQs they have been written to simplify as much as possible the setting up of the Railmaster system.

As Fishman says, it is all hiding in plain sight.

P.S. The FAQs are written in an 'IDIOT & DUMMIES GUIDE' format.