Block system using HM7000 ABC stopping

John-357061

I would like to set up a block system to be able run multiple trains on the same loop.

ABC braking functionality seems to only allow stopping based on a set time period. 0-255 seconds. I want it based on an event, the block ahead being empty.

How would you suggest setting up a block system?

You will be soon able to set the stop time (CV126) to always stopped (update coming for that - set value 0) then you can replace the manual switch shown in the manual with a timed switch (relay maybe) that allows the preceding train to clear its block thus releasing the stopped train. This could be arranged to cascade thru’ a staging yard.

The currently available settings will allow you to override the stop, if your required stop time is less than 255 seconds. This override could be a track sensor or signal. It will not cater for a stop time longer than that obviously. You could thus prove your event system to some extent ahead of the update.

Thanks, intend on getting one block working. Still trying to figure out how long the stopping section needs to be for the train to stop just before the signal.
Something that would be useful is being able to slow a train down. Allowing for the distance signal behaviour.

You are getting into use of additional modules like Lenz BM2 or 3 and/or software.

That would be a way of doing it. Would be nice if the decoder could do this. For example, If left rail stop. Right rail slow down. If both rails fast stop.

Put your proposal to Hornby in the associated improvements suggestion box sticky thread.

Did that. Actually what I really want is slow down, stop and stop and reverse (shuttle service)

This would allow a shuttle to stop at signals and reverse at a station after a stop.

I think it would be a good feature to add.

What I have realized is a best practice is to be consistent on the wiring for ABC.

However with only 2 rails you will only ever be able to use it to select a maximum of 2 actions - (1 for each rail.)

ABC/ADCC simply causes a voltage difference between the rails to be detected - (if you used the ABC/ADCC diode pack in both rails there would be no difference between them to detect & therefore nothing would be triggered.)

Also if you want a shuttle at both ends of a section of track, (to be detected by decoder as if by the same single rail) the ABC/ADCC rails at each end must actually be opposite - (due to the train travelling in opposite directions when it encounters them.)

This is all explained in the manual.

@Fishy as I just explained in my previous post if both rails are equal there is no difference between them.

Both rails being equal is the normal state = no trigger.

If the detection process were configured to look for all voltage drops & determine action by where drop is detected, (left, right, or both rails) then what you & John are suggesting might be achievable - but it wouldn’t be ABC/ADCC as that involves comparing rail voltage.

The purpose of detecting both rails is (as explained in manual, for the shuttle function) so that when the loco reverses direction, the decoder doesn’t immediately get confused by the rails swapping beneath it!

Be aware the manual is being updated for several things including ABC and a new version is imminent.

What can be done is to deploy 3 x diode modules, one at each end and one at the middle station stop area. The scenario would be the train starts from end A, stops at station B, continues to end C, then reversed, and repeats the sequence.

The problem is you cannot set the decoder to perform different things at different places with the basic diode module, only the same thing at all places. To perform intermediate stop within a shuttle you need the more complex Lenz BM2 and/or 3 modules, which are not DIY jobs to lash up.

• 4 months later...
On 09/11/2023 at 17:53, 96RAF said:

You will be soon able to set the stop time (CV126) to always stopped (update coming for that - set value 0) then you can replace the manual switch shown in the manual with a timed switch (relay maybe) that allows the preceding train to clear its block thus releasing the stopped train. This could be arranged to cascade thru’ a staging yard.

Just been playing with ABC and could not get it to work as required. I wanted loco to stop within constant braking distance and remain stationary until I removed the ABC asymmetrical signal. For example if train had approached points set wrong way. I did set CV126 to 0 as it says in the manual.
So are you saying the current firmware has a bug  and treats a value of 0 as ~5seconds. Any idea when it will be fixed.

I have a very simple set-up using DCC Concepts ABC modules at each end of my branch line. Some experimenting with CV's 125,126 and 127 now has the train running back and forth, and stopping, as it should, nice and slowly in the given distance between the gapped section of track and the buffers.

To me this was a great part of the Hornby TXS system - you can leave a train moving, while concentrating on something else.

Edited by Bulleidboy

4 hours ago, Justin-376583 said:

Just been playing with ABC and could not get it to work as required. I wanted loco to stop within constant braking distance and remain stationary until I removed the ABC asymmetrical signal. For example if train had approached points set wrong way. I did set CV126 to 0 as it says in the manual.
So are you saying the current firmware has a bug  and treats a value of 0 as ~5seconds. Any idea when it will be fixed.

Value zero should now set stop time unlimited until released by cancelling the ABC section bias, e.g. by way of by-pass switch or signal, etc.

17 hours ago, 96RAF said:

Value zero should now set stop time unlimited until released by cancelling the ABC section bias, e.g. by way of by-pass switch or signal, etc.

All work as expected now. Had to update the sound profile (v1.0 to v1.4). when I looked yesterday I think it was displayed that current profile was v1.00. But nothing compelling that there was a later profile version available. All the "health ticks" were green.

• Like 1