Problem De-Activating Railmaster

Hi

I am trying to de-activate my rail master from my old PC as I have bought a new computer and need to activate it on the new PC.

When I click the de-activate button and click Yes to are you sure, it says connecting to gateway and then de-registering railmaster. Railmaster then closes down by itself but when I re-open it, it is still registered.

Can anyone think of what might be going wrong?

I have tried emailing support but not had a reply.

Thanks

Callum

RM should not close itself as part of the deactivation process. I would say your RM installation may have a corruption in it. I suggest that you run the RM installer (right click, run as administrator) over the top of the existing installation to see if the glitch can be fixed, then try 'deactivating' it again afterwards.

If all attempts to deactivate RM on the old PC fail, then try following the procedure documented in this previous recent thread.
https://uk.hornby.com/community/forum/want-to-reload-railmaster-on-new-computer-but-old-one-has-failed-and-cant-deactivate-rm-to-reload-it-i-have-original-cd-and-activation-key-371825?ccm_paging_p=1

Hi

I tried installing (right-click run as administrator) over the top of my existing install on the old PC but still the same thing happened, when de-activating it closed down.

I tried the process on the other thread but I do not get a form come up to have my key reset, it just says key not downloaded correctly.

Unless I get a reply from Hornby railmaster support, it looks like I'm stuck!

I can't remember exactly how to get to the form, but I do remember that it doesn't appear automatically. You try to activate the key and when you get the failure message there is a clickable link somewhere that you use to open the form, but as far as I can remember you have to attempt a key activation first before you can access the form.

The form link may be in the "Help" menu whilst the key error message is still showing on screen, you just need to look around for it.

As I said in the other thread, I have had to do it twice now. But so long ago I can't remember the detail, but I do recall I had no trouble finding the form.

• 2 weeks later...

RM Support kindly manually de-activated it for me on the old PC however it still won’t activate on the new computer. Could it be an issue with Windows 11?

* I am logged into windows as administrator

* I have ticked run as administrator in Compatibility

* I have un-ticked Read-Only on the RailMaster program folder although it keeps changing back to read-only.

* I have added RailMaster as an exception on the Windows Firewall 

* I have ticked 'Full Control' for the RailMaster folder

* I have tried disabling Windows Antivirus and Firewall (no other

antivirus/firewall installed)

* I have tried connecting via a mobile hotspot in case it's the router blocking it

* I have tried downloading again from the link provided and re-installing it (run as administrator)

It won’t be a W11 issue as there are none.

I trust when you say you re-installed, you did so over the top of your existing installation rather than removing and re-installing as this is unlikely to fix anything.

Suggest you email HRMS again, describing in your email exactly as you’ve done here.

It won’t be a W11 issue as there are none.
I trust when you say you re-installed, you did so over the top of your existing installation rather than removing and re-installing as this is unlikely to fix anything.
Suggest you email HRMS again, describing in your email exactly as you’ve done here.

Yes I installed over the top of the existing installation.

I’ve even tried setting up another administrator account with no password because someone else said removing their password fixed it but still no luck.

I’ve emailed HRMS hopefully they will have a solution.

Yelrow’s is one possibility Callum but usually only when there is a subtle issue with your installation (as there was for Yelrow back in the day). In your case, I think it more likely there is a problem with connecting to the HRMS server.

But no point speculating, let the experts solve it for you.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

The issue has been resolved. In case anyone else has issues with activation/de-activation, both my broadband router and my phone (when using it as a hotspot) were blocking the communication with the RM activation server.

The solution was I had to take the computer to work and plug it in via Ethernet because even the Wi-Fi blocked the connection.

Thanks

Callum