Live Steam in the news

PlanesTV

Hornby Live Steam Clubforum_image_6565db5da04af.png.8bd54b7217cba7c56d6cb0c58fed2809.png attracted some publicity attention at the weekend's Warley show to celebrate the 20th anniversary of the product launch.

We were honoured to have the system inventor Richard Hallam with us to receive an award shared jointly with Hornby Marketing Department.

Do you recognise the photographer on the left?

forum_image_6565db5f78b72.png.6e2cf2166de961a0f7696fcdfe05cebb.png

Sam from YouTube Sam's Trains stayed to 'have-a-go' so it will be interesting to see what he thinks of Hornby Live Steam in his Warley report

A great pity the forum update lost most of the images that went with your loco project build stories Ken. They were a must read day by day as you built them.

What Ken fails to say in his modest ‘I am on my 26th live steam engine’ statement is these are not out of the box locos, these are hand built and although he may have based them on the Hornby units, they were one-offs using much modified parts made by him, even down to the nuts and bolts. Brilliant model engineering by a highly talented man.

You could post a picture of your big loco and carriage Ken, they were great.

@96RAF - Off-topic, I know (apologies) but does your comment above about images from the old forum being lost infer that the assurance even now still appearing in the forum introduction that Hornby are "working hard" to ensure assets are not lost, etc., etc., actually ceased some time back.

The moderators have a monthly video meeting with Hornby folk and over the years that we have pestered them for these images, it has become our firm opinion that they have lost them forever, despite their assertions otherwise.

There is a new platform coming but I doubt those old images if anyone at Hornby could even find them will become available. Annoying as it is that is the assumed reality.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Rob

you asked about posting pictures of an engine or two but before this I would like to add to the first posting here

Richard Hallam is the man that has given me and many the joy of miniature proper live steam engines and his name will always be linked with the steam system he invented and developed and thanks to the live steam club for keeping the system alive and supporting many owners with help

But one name is missing from the list of people involved with live steam and that is my good friend Mr J Humphries we spoke many times about live steam and it was he that long before the LS club that kept these little marvels running for us a friendly man that did more than his best to help the ones in trouble for back then there was no one else to sort out problems

someone once said if you cut him in half he had Hornby written right through him.

A great friend and sadly missed so if I had an award he would be one person that should be given an award for services rendered

yes I have built a few engines now all based on the Hornby basic chassis with little or no mods in some cases some like the West Country engines just like the real thing with loads of wheel slip on pulling away!

hopefully here is one of the smallest engines a real compact job of a GWR Rail bus

my thought were always what would be a good engine to build and be a real challenge

forum_image_657c460a870c9.thumb.png.94b3cc9e09e411015c3f0537437ecc37.png

This was watchmaking stuff but the results were amazing with small wheels it never ran off the track like the larger tyres and was real fun to drive.

forum_image_657c46106336a.thumb.png.1c1e259f41ebfc23b197f7c15403a969.png

forum_image_657c46157b6ea.thumb.png.6cc3a0f15d052fe15076a12f14eeb1a1.png

The next engine is an engine that my grandfather would have help to construct and the build was posted here a few years back might still be there less the pictures my grandfather worked for the GER at Stratford works and I thought it fitting an engine of about 1910 would be a good idea. This would be cutting new ground as this was an inside cylinder engine and need some new ideas but the end results were good as videos on YouTube showed.

forum_image_657c46184d68e.thumb.png.30608354ba0d7f7396548d922d6002b1.png

There are so many different types of engine by all the different companies but which to make a live steam one of? The next here is a GWR tank one of my favourite engine an unsung work horse that gave great service on freight and passenger trains this again was like getting things into a very small space and turned out great.

Thanks Ken, those pictures brought back good memories waiting for the next instalment of each build.

I wonder if one of the computer gurus could access an archive version of the web site before the forum was updated, so we could pull back all those superb articles.

I spent a couple of hours last night on a web archive site and although I could find Hornby forum live steam pages not all years have been archived so wading thru’ them was a challenge looking for likely posts about Ken’s builds. If I can find them hopefully it will be possible to claw back the pages and at least save them or somehow repost them.

If anyone has an alternative method please sing out.

Lord Nelson       38837 views

New radio control

Replies16

Views5287

Building a B12/S69

Replies393

Views74023

Build your own Radio Control System

Replies34

Views16025

Building My Own Live Steam King

Replies89

Views29923

I went back over the last 10 or more years and copied just a few postings of new engines that i have built and other projects i was surprised to see just how many views some had like the S69 engine 74023 sad to say no pictures, to loose one or 2 pictures is a problem but to loose all the pictures on the above engine builds some 50 pictures is an achivement

Well it looks like things might improve next year so hopefully lost picture pages and forum content might come back for all those that lost there contribution so over Christmas I will continue on my latest engine pictured below but was watching the Polar Express last night and thought that might be the next but like continental engines look messy with bits of outside pipe work and boxes of service equipment not like the British engines have a great Christmas keep safe

forum_image_65817940d8c0a.thumb.png.8f1c86cb6f15024cbef6a283b861a0d7.png