lack of function control on hornby select

johnny1707821342

Johnny, could you please use the 3 dots menu on the right of your post to edit your title to add “lack of function control” to it. That way, people will know what your are actually asking about and might read and reply.

After that, please tell us the firmware version of your Select - it’s the first number that appears briefly on startup. It will be something from 10 to 20.

Then be aware if it is not at least 15, it will need upgrade by return to Hornby at a cost of £15 before it will handle functions adequately.

Johnny,

When you get your upgraded Select back. You will need to download the Select 1.5 Manual and also the Select 1.6 Manual Addendum.

The way you operate the Select once upgraded (what buttons to press to do things) is completely different to the 1.1 version.

1.5 Manual...

R8213 Select DCC Controller – Version 1.5 manual

1.6 Addendum...

R8213 Select DCC Controller - Version 1.6 addendum

The 1.1 version also had a serious bug that damages R8247 Accessory Decoders, so is worth upgrading even if you didn't need the new features.

Talking of features. The 1.6 version (what you will get back) as well as giving access to all functions up to F28, also gives you the ability to write (not read) all CVs from CV1 to CV255, something the 1.1 version cannot do either.

Oh yep it shows 11 when it boots up so will send it into hornby thanks

That version should allow you to operate function F0-F8 which includes lights and some sounds. Are you selection these functions correctly. Press a number then the function button. Screen. Will say briefly Fx on, then when thou repeat the action it will say Fx off.

Be aware it also has a bug that can damage any Points and Accessory decoders you have in circuit so you are advised not to use it to operate them until you get it upgraded.

See also this similar post https://uk.hornby.com/community/forum/help-with-hornby-select-sound-and-lights-selection-374011?ccm_paging_p=1#end-of-replies

It sounds like the F button is not making contact. Buttons not registering when being pressed is a known issue on these controllers (includes the Elite). This can sometimes be fixed by manipulating the button by pressing and rotating ones finger with pressure. However since the FW is 1.1, then the Select is old and may need more button contact cleaning than just finger manipulation can do.

I suggest that you include a description of your issue when you return it for the FW upgrade and get that issue fixed at the same time.

Yes am doing that however when I press a number and function it doesn't say f1 on or f1 off it just doesn't select the function at all and the number continues to flash

That could be one of two things, there is a short or overload causing the Select PSU to self protect by dropping voltage and the Select is continually rebooting or you have long pressed a button and gotten into some other mode than a simple function selection. I suggest you reset the Select using the method shown in the early manual, not the later updated manual.

However when I hold the function button it works and shows the function to make a double header consist

Then you are definitely in the wrong place for normal functions. You have set yourself up a double header. Go to pages 14/15 in the early manual to understand how you did that and how to dissolve it, then page 17 to find out how to operate functions.

Edit - My earlier advice about pressing a number then Function was incorrect for the early model. It is press and hold a number whilst selecting Function.

https://support.hornby.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360016160699-R8213-Select-DCC-Controller

96RAF should have added that the nearest manual to your 1.1 version that is downloadable is the Select 1.4 manual on the above webpage.

The 1.5 manual on the above page is absolutely no good to you on a 1.1 version Select as significant 'how to operate' control changes were made in the 1.5 version.

If you have no access to the correct manual then no wonder you are getting operational procedures wrong. The operation of the Select is IMO not self explanatory.

When I do this I only turns F0 on no matter what number I use

It still sounds like you are not pressing buttons in the correct order. Either that or pressing the number buttons is not registering, but this seems unlikely.

Refer to the extract of the Select manual below. The yellow highlight shows that pressing the Function button first switches on F0 as your are describing.

The manual extract below says you have to press and hold the number button, then press the Function button for Functions 1 to 8.

forum_image_65718131bd0b1.thumb.png.9f2a572006f1b5471ccac14c1e7bea11.png

The green highlight text is important too. Once a spot sound is played, you have to send the Function command again to reset the Function so it can be played again next time.

Noting that this methodology only applies to your version 1.1 Select. Function selection will change completely when you get your Select firmware upgraded, which is why it is important to download and refer to the 1.5 & 1.6 Addendum manuals previously given the download links for.