MP5 point motor and Yamorc YD8116 switch

Steve-353799

Hi Guys hope you are keeping well. I'm progressing with my TT120 test layout and have managed to set up the blocks with a Yamorc YD6016LN feedback sensor.

I'm now looking to fit the point motors. I have decided to go with the MP5 ones as I have decided to use the Yamorc YD8116 to switch the points.

This point motor has 4 settings which I think relate to the throw of the point 3mm, 6mm, 9mm and 12mm. I'm using the Peco streamline points and I will be leaving the spring in place.

So I think I probably can get away with placing the Pin/Spigot in the 3mm hole. However the distance from underneath the baseboard to the hole in the point is around 28mm so maybe I could also get away with the 6mm setting as there can be a bit of give in the rod (bending) being so long.

One more thing one point motor will be mounted on the surface. What thickness of piano wire would I need and can I get it from Amazon as I get free delivery at the momment?

Oh I forgot I'm going to use a seperate power supply for these point motors DC. Can anyone recommend something, I'm going to be looking at around 25 of these point motors eventually.

Many thanks,

Steve

From Nick ntpntpntp

If I'm reading the instructions for the MP5 correctly, it's a slow action motor drive with end cut-off so can use either a latching or momentary switch? It says it only draws around 150mA when moving (not continuous ppower draw?)

So really you just need an AC or DC power supply of around 15V capable of delivering enough power to move the maximum number of motors you might want to fire from a single switch (eg. 2 motors for a crossover?) A 1 amp power supply would be plenty unless you plan to have a whole ladder of fiddleyard points all changing simulaneously. In fact with this type of motor you can probably just use the auxiliary / accessory output of an existing controller as you don't need a CDU.

For the piano wire, do you not have a local model shop who cater for model aircraft or similar? They'd have something suitable. You might even find something in a DIY store (some have a rack of metal extrusions, rods, and wires)

Many Accessory Decoders ONLY have a DCC Track Power input to operate both the point motors as well as providing the power and data signal to operate the decoder.

The weakness with those type of decoders is that sometimes even with an integrated decoder CDU, point motor operation is not robust enough.

This YD8116 Decoder gets over that weakness by having a separate power input to operate the motors. But you STILL have to have a DCC power connection because the Digital DCC Commands are encoded on top of the DCC Power. The manual clearly states that the DCC Track power is connected to the YD8116 'Signal Input' to provide the control function. If you don't make this connection, then there is no way that you can control the operation of your points from your DCC Controller.

If you look at page 7 of the YD8116 manual, you can see that there are two different power options. The option on the left uses the DCC track power for both power and control. For those who do not want or need a separate power supply ... maybe those using point motors that do not need a lot of current OR where the decoder is only being used to operate LED Signals. Therefore in the left hand image, the power & signal connections are wired in parallel to the DCC track power.

The image on the right shows the DCC Track Power being connected to just the Signal input (for DCC Control) and a normal power supply for general power to operate high current consuming accessories.

These Decoders look to me like close copies of ESU Accessory Decoders but with Yamorc branding. The ESU versions were powered with exactly the same options, but would only operate high current Solenoid based point motors when a high voltage >15<20 volts, high current >3<6 Amps separate power supply was used. The separate high voltage/current supply was required on the ESU decoders because they had no internal CDU and DCC Power on its own just didn't have enough grunt. I daresay that these YD8116 units are no different in that respect when being used to operate high current Solenoid motors such as PECO PL10 / 11 & Hornby R8014 / R8243 motors.

@steve wrote:
Yeah that's what I thought but I can't understand why you need to connect it to the bus if the unit is already getting power from the Tranformer?

The Power Input is just that - power for the motors. How did you think the DCC commands get to the YD8116? :) Look at the right hand connection diagram on page 7 of the manual.

[edit] Seems like Paul and I are both looking at the same manual and replying at the same time :)

Yes ntpx3 .... great minds as they say.

Just to add, if the current consumption of the proposed MP5 point motors is as low as stated (circa 150mA), then I doubt that the separate external power supply is actually needed, and the power connectivity shown on Page 7 of the Manual left hand image will suffice.

i know very little about Yamorc, but did come to know ESU ones rather well, in that like many other posters, i found them very difficult to set up, so much so, that i discarded them. it may well be a thing of the past, but have others any experience of the Yamorc ones. would hate to be wise after the event. There were pages of posts about ESU ones, that only gained sales, when Hornby ones were out of stock, for many weeks.

Good memory Yelrow and yes you can find heaps on that decoder previously going back at least 9 years. The best search term which brings up many of them is Switchpilot and here is one of many with the post from Michael A being the definitive one:

https://uk.hornby.com/community/forum/esu-switchpilot-programming-via-e-link-amp;-railamster?ccm_paging_p=2&ccm_order_by=&ccm_order_by_direction=

And despite what Michael A says, some have insisted you need to use a separate power supply for successful operation, not just DCC track power. That is due to it’s not having an internal CDU.

Finally, having just posted above it matters not which way around you connect track A and B to decoder A and B, on this device it does.

Some of these more recent queries seems to indicate that you are not looking at the full manual, maybe just a 'Quick Start' data-sheet. For example, the previously referenced image on Page 7 clearly answers your latest connection question. Your Z21 controller is represented by the bluish box shown below the YD8116, labelled "Digital control unit, Track voltage connection, (Track Out)."

In case you are not looking at the FULL manual, you can view & download it here:

YD8116 User Manual.pdf