Image orientation issues in posts

Rallymatt

I still can’t get a grip of this! Searched best I can to see if there is any details on this to no avail so, what is it I am doing wrong when attaching photos in posts and they flip through 90deg? Seems to just randomly flip, at time of attaching and uploading they are correct but sometimes they fall over. Must admit Computer stuff generally doesn’t interest me so if it’s a technical answer (ie involving more than a hammer or great speed) please keep it simple 😁

Not much help to you as I don't attach that many images, but the ones I do occasionally attach display 100% correctly.

All I can add, is that I only ever use my Windows PC to attach an image and never my Android tablet and I do not own a 'smart phone'.

Do I assume that your rotated images are more typically uploaded from an Android / IOS device. If so, that could be a contributory factor.

To assist those who might be able to offer better advice. What methodolgy do you use to upload an image. For example, do you use the 'image upload tool' icon in the post creation box and navigate manually to the image file name or do you use 'copy n paste' and/or 'drag n drop'. Knowing the methodology & uploading device you use to upload an image could provide vital clues.

I have had this happen a few times.

Generally the image must have been taken with the device correctly oriented upright - this can be either portrait or landscape. I.e. with your right thumb as trigger finger.

Next you must place them in post from the same orientation.

Given compliance with all that, I recently posted 3 images at the same time all taken shortly beforehand and one of them flipped 90 degrees out after posting, although they looked fine before posting. No logical reason why that should happen.

Remedy - I edited the post, deleted that image and put it back again from the same library as before. Result OK. Why did that fix it - no idea.

There was a spate of it a while back and the discussion never really got to the bottom of it.

Try pulling the image as posted into an editor, swing it round a bit and resave. Then edit the post.

It will either keep you out of the pub or drive you to it.

• 4 weeks later...

It would be ever so nice to have a "rotate image" button, under edits. It would provide a 90° edit to an already approved image.

Let Hornby pick the direction, clockwise or counter clockwise. I do not need control over the direction. I simply press the button the desired number of times.

And this issue would never, ever return. Alleviates moderator work.

If only it could be requested for the next iteration, whenever that might be.

Bee

I posted 2 images yesterday from the same iPad library in which both were showing in draft as upright. Once posted live to the forum one of them was 90 deg out, so I had to edit the post by saving the image to my same library, editing it by 90 deg and putting it back into post in place of the original, whereupon it went for approval but at last appeared correctly.

There appears to be no logic behind this and hopefully the next forum platform will be more reliable and users will be able to do more for themselves.

Hi 96RAF

That is all good for moderators. You approve your own images, making the process quite straightforward.

For those of us without such privileges, there is the unavoidable wait for approval. The image finally appears. Its 90° out. So what am I to do? Delete it and resubmit after editing. Sure, I can do that. And wait again for approval. That plays havoc in a spirited conversation.

Or I can remember to pass every image through my photo tools, saving every image yet again. Using the newly saved image in the post. Then deleting the edited image copy, because it has no other real use. Wasn't the photograph enough?

Or I can beg for succor. Plead for help, requesting a moderator do it. As moderators are unpaid and simply have other things to do, I feel bad about this.

I would prefer being able to do this myself. Fix the orientation of an approved image.

Bee

@bee

It is hoped that the next iteration of the forum will allow Moderators to sign off self approval for members, thus they will be able to edit their own posts for such things as image placement errors or white space gaps (although that latter fettle can be done now).

It is also hoped that members will be able to have their own permanent blog space that can be linked to from forum. This will keep projects (such as your own LMS) as a cohesive reference document rather than fragmented and possibly lost in forum posts.