Numbering DCC LOCOMOTIVES

wapples

I am sure this has been covered before. I did look this up and a few googles here and there, but curious on the definitive way that most of you may be using a structure of labeling your locomotives I noticed using the last two digits of a running number is an option. I have a system that has now become a little too squashed for my requirements, so I’m just curious what your process is for numbering them of course once you’ve got a good structure you just follow it and there are no complications. I’m open to all advice and strategies regarding this , particularly for all my future additions. Thank you.

One option is to use the last four digits. An alternative is to use the first two and the last two. The latter works well with modern outline as it would include the class as part of the address.

You may need to change CV29 to allow long addresses to be recognised.

Just for completeness of information should you not be aware.

Short addresses (001 to 127) are stored directly in CV1 as an address number value.

Long addresses (128 to 9999) are not stored as a direct address value. The address number is first processed in a formula that creates two decimal numbers. These two numbers are stored in CV17 & CV18. CV29 is then changed to tell the decoder to process CV17 & CV18 and ignore ÇV1. Much can go wrong when trying to configure these three CVs manually. Therefore many DCC Controllers have a 'Long Address' writing function that performs the neccessary formula mathmatics and writes to all three CVs as required to set a long address.

It is advised to use any inbuilt long address writing feature that a controller may include as writing the three CVs individually (manually) often doesn't work that well.

In my case, as a Railmaster user. The DCC Address of my locos is completely irrelevant to me, so mine are all configured with short addresses allocated sequentially when added to my loco roster. The actual address is irrelevant to me because RM displays the loco as a named graphic image within a throttle panel display.

AHHH yes that was the other part I should have said in using the Hornby Elite but yes the long addressing I thought was for the more advanced users but yes that would be logical. I only have some 30 locomotives and while the number IE class 25 is fine to use 25 and I got a second one so did it as 26 now that’s not too bad but with 4 class 37’s and a class 40 I think you see where I went a bit strange.

I use both short and long addresses for each loco. The short address can be used by a Select controller and the long address by an Elite or eLink controller.

When addressing using an Elite simply write the address long or short you want to use and Elite will do the math and write a short address to CV1 or a long address to CVs 17/18 whilst automatically handling CV29 for you.

My long addresses format are first 2 and last 2 of the cab number. Note a short address can be written as a long address by inserting 0 or 00 ahead of a short number.

I have an Elite so I just number my locos from 3 onwards and have a spreadsheet to tell which one is which. Interesting that it is only 1 to 127 for CV1, instead of 255 did they expect to be using negative numbers or is the most significant bit (MSB) of CV1 used for something else. Either way for me the Elite handles it.

I was just looking at the specification it appears there is a maximum number as the top two bits of CV17 are always set at 1. Not that I suspect anyone will ever set it, but it is 10239 if my maths are correct.

I know 96RAF after I posted I thought about trying it on the Elite then realised you can only put in 9999. Weird configuration though for CV17, they obviously have their reasons for setting it that way but it would be interesting to find out why. I couldn't understand why you add 192 on the algorithm but then realised it is 128 + 64 (bits 7 and 6). Either way it doesn't matter unless you are designing a DCC controller but interesting none the less.

I numbered mine starting at 5. Loco decoder 1 was a turntable, and I wanted 3 and 4 free because 4 is the next number to 3, and I think when I got my DCC set, it had two locos adressed 3 and 4 from the factory.

XYZ

We're using 2-digit addressing as I don't think we'll ever get to filling the roster with locos or stock with decoders. We copied BR numbering to a certain extent.

0-9 Miscellaneous (currently contains our only kettle)

11-19 DMUs

20-29 type 1 and type 2 diesels

30-39 type 3 diesels

40-49 type 4 diesels

50-59 type 5 diesels

60-69 not yet used

70-79 EMUs

80-89 electric locos

90-99 coaches and DVTs with decoders

Generally within a type the locos are in ascending order, since we aren't close to 10 locos of any type, there is still space for adding more.

I numbered mine starting at 5. Loco decoder 1 was a turntable, and I wanted 3 and 4 free because 4 is the next number to 3, and I think when I got my DCC set, it had to locos adressed 3 and 4 from the factory.
XYZ

Oddly the standards say that address 2 is reserved for accessory decoders, but that seems old hat now as decoders are in 2 distinct classes, mobile (locos) and static (accessories) and the binary code sent to them is different.

I re-addressed a load of loco's a couple of days ago. All but 2 use the last 2 numbers, the other 3 use the first 2 numbers, Royal Lancer is a re-bodied Flying Scotsman but the last 2 numbers are already used, likewise Duke of Gloucester as it ends in 00, so it's 71 and the G2A.

I also list which decoders they have just for reference.

Here's my printout;I tried to tidy the columns up but the site won't accept it.

DCC DIGITAL CONTROL STEAM LOCO'S.

LOCO No DCC address Decoder

PRINCESS ELIZABETH 6201 01 ZIMO MX648R

GORDON HIGHLANDER 6106 06 ESU Lockpilot

PRINCESS HELENA VICTORIA 6208 08 ZIMO MX648R

LMS STANIER 8F 8012 12 ZIMO MX648R

OLIVER CROMWELL 70013 13 ZIMO MS480F

LMS SCOTS GUARDSMAN 6115 15 ZIMO MS480R

BR FOWLER TANK 42322 22 ZIMO MS480R

LMS COMPOUND 41123 23 ZIMO MX644D

BR BLACK 5 44726 26 STEAM On order

CITY OF ST ALBANS 6233 33 ZIMO MX648R

BR CRAB 42942 42 ZIMO MS480R

ROYAL LANCER 4476 44 ESU Lockpilot

CITY OF MANCHESTER 6246 46 ZIMO MX648R

G2A GOODS 49106 49 ZIMO MX644D

BR 5MT 73051 51 ZIMO MS490RBR

BR STANIER 8F 48062 62 ZIMO MS480R

BR 9F 92167 67 ZIMO MX644C

DUKE OF GLOUCESTER 71000 71 ESU Lockpilot

FLYING SCOTSMAN 4472 72 STEAM On order

LNER B1 61076 76 ZIMO MS480F

LMS BLACK 5 5089 89 ZIMO MX648R

BR BEYER GARRATT 47996 96 ZIMO MX648

Total = 20 + 2 on order

DCC DIESELS.

2 CAR GREEN DMU 19 ESU Lockpilot

I must admit I use a rather random numbering facility.

But what I do is to print off a small label and attach it to the bottom of the loco or tender with the dcc address on it, and then (horror of horrors!) I even stick a label on the box. I know I've just devalued the loco (well the box) and I'll never be able to sell it second hand...

And: I keep a record of the number assigned in my Stock Spreadsheet. Must be something I learned from the Missus, Accountant that she was...