Elite and elink

Hi all and happy new year

uve Got an elite I’ve been using as a controller for ages but it won’t read or write for programming which hasn’t been an issue as I’ve used my select for programming

I’ve now got an elink and rail master the question I have is can I use the elite as a controller aswell as railmaster as control a and have the elink as control b and use the elink for programming locos etc or will railmaster only allow control a to do programming to make it clear the elite I want to use the control knobs as well as rail master and a mouse to drive trains and use the elink as my programing interface otherwise I’m going to have to keep disconnecting them both and swop around every time I programe a loco etc yes I could still use the select but it’s limited to length or address numbers and there’s more information on railmaster

......... to make it clear the elite I want to use the control knobs as well as rail master and a mouse to drive trains and use the elink as my programing interface otherwise I’m going to have to keep disconnecting them both and swop around every time I programe a loco

Given your stated requirement as a whole. If you use the faulty Elite as Controller A then you will have to swop the A & B controllers over for programming. The Railmaster software can ONLY use Controller A for operating locos and programming. Controller B can not be used to control locomotive decoders as Railmaster sends locomotive decoder commands ONLY to Controller A.

Only Accessory DCC Operation Commands can be sent to Controller B.

This also means that Accessory Decoders (if not of the 'self learning' type) would also need to be temporarily connected to Controller A 'PROG' terminals for CV adjustments, then transferred back to Controller B for normal operation. A 'Self Learning' Accessory decoder doesn't need to be connected to a programming output for setting up its address. Hornby R8247 Accessory Decoders are not 'self learning'.

Robert, Hi, set up Elite, to work with Railmaster. You can then control via laptop, or Elite. Also, by buying a cable, you can use Select as walkabout. No power supply, necessary for Select in this rail. So , Controller ,A, Elite. Use Elink as controller B for points, accessories. No need to disconnect then at all. That’s what several on here do.

John, as indicated in earlier posts, RM cannot overcome the non-functioning of the Elite programming output. So your suggested setup cannot do anything requiring the Elite programming output directly or via RM.

Select Walkabout solution only has limited addressing and function, as Robert said.

Thanks wasn’t what I was asking though

I agree other replies missed the point of your question, but unless I am very much mistaken, I believe the first paragraph of my reply did answer your question adequately. If not, then please expand on your question detail.

To echo Paul and reinforce the answer we believe is for the question asked.

Controller A controls locos and allows programming. If there is only one controller then Controller A operates locos and accessories and does programming.

Controller B operates points, signals and other accessories. Programming is not possible as Controller B.

Thanks that’s the answer I was After looks like il have to keep swooping them over until I buy a new elite by the way I guess the select will be useless as a walkabout as it will only control 2 digit I’d numbers and I’m reprogramming all my locos to 4 digit from there running numbers for easier identification