2024 New releases

There’s some interesting choices for new tools there, although most of them don’t interest me (surprise!).

I am, however, likely to buy another Whitley and the Norwegian markings for the Gladiator piqued my interest. I hope the poor old Hampden sells well enough. It really needs a retool, frankly, but if the company thinks there’s some more miles left in the old one then fair play.

I wonder what other goodies might appear later in the year… thinking_face

The 2024 Releases cover a wide range of subjects...Something for everyone! I like the release of the new-tool B-24 and the Chinook. I was saving my nickels and dimes for the old Matchbox release of the Chinook...now I have to save for the NEW Airfix Chinook kit. grinning.

I wish that someday Airfix would release some 1/48 scale armor. I grew up building the old Aurora Plastics armor kits. I like that size...easy to find display space. AND, they were great fun to play with as well. Hey, I was a kid...what do you expect.

Someone mentioned a 1/24 Scale Sopwith Camel...that would be outstanding. Until that time...I'm content with what is released. I have several hundred of the Airfix Red Box kits. I don't know if I'll ever build them all...but I do enjoy just opening the kits and looking at them.

Thank you, Airfix!

Nice to see Airfix doing what so many manufacturers do, that is use a base kits, the 1/35 Cromwell, and reissue it with new parts to build a different marque. However, of all the kits, (doubtless the new tooled kits will be nicely detailed) none are of subjects that haven't already been manufactured in that scale, (maybe with the exception of the lifeboat). So while I look forward to the 1/48 Bulldog, and am sure it will be an improvement over previous kits which are decades old, am wondering what is gained by making another 1/48 Tomahawk, another 1/72 Chinook and another 1/72 B-24 Liberator, with reissues of classic and more recent kits?

I mention this because, as with the Avro Anson in 1/48, the 1/48 Gannet and some others, Airfix have shown that making a new model of a subject that hasn't been covered before in that scale works very well, bring me to my final point, and that is why not carry on with that trend? For years people have been writing here about wishing Airfix would produce an Avro Lincoln in 1/72, which no one has so far, or a 1/72 Avro Manchester, a reasonably priced Short Empire C-class flying boat, maybe even a 1/72 HP 42 Heracles? Is it that much harder to make one of those than a new B--24 Liberator, which while welcome, joins the ranks of quite a number of Liberator kits out there?

I've bought the Anson, and Gannet, and they are superb, as is the Buccaneer that I have a few of. They are tributes to classic British designs, and that it is Airfix making them adds to the feeling that they are something special. The current Avro Lancaster is excellent, as is the B-17, and I'm sure the B-24 will be too, it would be great to add something new and different from every other manufacturer and it's sad not to see that coming, again, this year.

I think the releases are better than last years announcements.

Interested in the B-24H, and the Chinook (although the Chinook in my collection is already marked as Bravo November, so may have to wait for the next release). also interested in the Gladiator with Norwegian markings, the Beaufort Ia, the starter set Bf 109F, and the rerelease of the BF109E (I live 5 minutes from manston where this one came down).

And here was me wanting to reduce my stash this year!

• Thanks 1

Looking at the other Hampden models out there, a cost uplift of 10 to 20 pounds over the Airfix veteran means that some folks will take a punt on this older model. Good luck to you.

Currently working on my stash.. which grew over Christmas and will probably get some 2024 new kits too now.

Maybe nothing new RN but there are a couple of RN vintage classics. With a bit of effort they can be made up to look quite good or converted into other ships of the class. Take a look at the Ships thread to see what is possible. In the meantime we continue to wait and hope!

On B-24 kits: There are exactly 2 (two) in 1/72 scale: Academy and Hasegawa. Both cover the B-24D and B-24J models. Academy has also noses for PB4Y-1 and B-24M - both crude. Academy has severe inaccuracies and Hasegawa is horribly expensive.

The old Airfix 1/72 B-24J is a toy. It is both crude, inaccurate and bad to build. Revell 1/72 B-24D has not been in production since late 1970s.

There has never been a B-24H in any scale nor any manufacturer. The Academy kit sold as B-24H is actually a B-24J. The difference is the nose - and it is easy to detect. A B-24J painted and decalled as a B-24H stands out inaccurate like a sore thumb.

Most modellers (me included) HATE metal finish, and most J model Liberators have been finished on natural metal, while most H model planes are olive drab / neutral grey, providing also flashy unit markings and nose arts.

I have waited for 20+ years for a new B-24H kit in 1/72. My prayers have been finally answered.

On B-24 kits: There are exactly 2 (two) in 1/72 scale: Academy and Hasegawa. Both cover the B-24D and B-24J models. Academy has also noses for PB4Y-1 and B-24M - both crude. Academy has severe inaccuracies and Hasegawa is horribly expensive.

The old Airfix 1/72 B-24J is a toy. It is both crude, inaccurate and bad to build. Revell 1/72 B-24D has not been in production since late 1970s.

There has never been a B-24H in any scale nor any manufacturer. The Academy kit sold as B-24H is actually a B-24J. The difference is the nose - and it is easy to detect. A B-24J painted and decalled as a B-24H stands out inaccurate like a sore thumb.

Most modellers (me included) HATE metal finish, and most J model Liberators have been finished on natural metal, while most H model planes are olive drab / neutral grey, providing also flashy unit markings and nose arts.

I have waited for 20+ years for a new B-24H kit in 1/72. My prayers have been finally answered.

Yes, all true , I’ll be getting some for sure. However, I do like the natural metal finishes…..

Randall

I note that there is a promise of a Vintage Classic release of the 1/72 HP Hampden. Great news, especially if - like the recent Auster - Airfix has redone the clear parts (so that they actually fit!) - but presumably it's going to be a straight re-mould rather than any significant new tooling. Still, better than nothing, I suppose. But again, no 1/72 Fairey Battle....

Does anyone have an idea which other markings will the B-24H have? I checked out the B-24bestweb.com about "Corky Burgundy Bombers", but which other version will there be?

The Jadlam model shop have a display of the artwork for this. Don't know how they obtained it because I can't find it anywhere else.

The other marking option is apparently another olive drab version with a picture of the statue of liberty on the nose. Underneath is a prominent red scroll with the name 'Valiant Lady'

Does anyone have an idea which other markings will the B-24H have? I checked out the B-24bestweb.com about "Corky Burgundy Bombers", but which other version will there be?

A quick search turned up a dozen decal sets that include the H model. I’m satisfied there are enough decals for a dozen different B-24 H models including the kit decals.

ill be buying a few, I am exited about this one!

Randall

A quick search turned up a dozen decal sets that include the H model. I’m satisfied there are enough decals for a dozen different B-24 H models including the kit decals.

Randall

Me too! I already do have several Microscale, Aeromaster and PYN-up Decals sheets with really interesting B-24H markings. One of the first I will be building is "The Sharon D" flown by Col. Leon D. Vance, Congressional Medal of Honor.

I wonder if there will be a conversion set for Bulldog II into Bulldog IV?

Finnish Air Force Bulldogs were of the latter model, and FinnAF was the only air force which flew Bulldogs in anger - and scored victories with them. Two Finnish aces, SSGT Valio Porvari and SSGT Lauri Lautamäki of LeLv 26, scored their first victories on Bulldog.

One Finnish Bulldog, BU-59, survives. forum_image_659ee93060e39.thumb.png.0c3d2674a66b64b10821ef0844a92842.png

Randall

Me too! I already do have several Microscale, Aeromaster and PYN-up Decals sheets with really interesting B-24H markings. One of the first I will be building is "The Sharon D" flown by Col. Leon D. Vance, Congressional Medal of Honor.

I selected the zodiac planes . Like I said, I’ll be buying a few.

Randall