Loksound esu decoder help

Darren-373700

Hi,

Sorry, I Know this isn't a Hornby product but I'm desperate..

A while ago I purchased a twin HST decoder from Loksound, it came with no manual, only basic F1 - F20 sound files on an A4 sheet.

I want to adjust the volume of the engine .. that is all, but do you think I can find how to do this? I have messaged Richard Croft a few times but the replies just leave me even more confused. I expected more after parting with £220.

I have a Select controller (1.6 firmware) so able and capable to play with other (Hornby) sound decoders. I just can't find which 'CV' is engine volume.

Also, F2 and F3 high/low horns play constantly.. ie you turn 'on' F2 or F3 and it just plays forever until you re-press F2 or F3 to turn it 'off' .. is this right?

Really regretting shelling out top dollar for what is basically tat.

Any help or suggestions welcome before the whole lot gets binned.

Cheers Daz

With regard having to send F2 & F3 twice to turn on and then off. That is quite normal and as the decoder is designed. Auto turn-off of functions is more often than not a DCC Controller feature not a decoder one.

The Hornby Elite controller has an optional feature to auto turn off functions via using either long or short button presses. I don't think the same feature is included in the Select.

Regarding manual. All the ESU decoder manuals are downloadable from the ESU website. But if the Loksound decoder is either a version 3.5 or a version 4.0 (these were until recently the most common Loksound decoders) then these manuals are downloadable on this Hornby website because they used to be fitted to Hornby sound locos pre-TTS.

Open the link below then follow either the 3.5 or 4.0 options. The full Loksound manual is then the bottom link in the displayed list.

https://support.hornby.com/hc/en-gb/sections/360004186779-Sound-Locomotives

For the V4.0 manual the Master Volume is documented on Page 50 and states it is CV63 with a valid range between 1 & 192 with a default 180 setting.

For the V3.5 manual the Master Volume is documented on Page 32 and states it is also CV63 but with a valid range between 1 & 64 with a default 64 setting.

If your deoder is neither a V3.5 nor V4.0, then download the manual you need from the ESU website (link below) and search the manual for "Master Volume" or just "Volume".

https://www.esu.eu/en/downloads/instruction-manuals/digital-decoders/

For the Loksound V5.0 manual (viewed via the link above) the Master Volume is documented on Page 93 and states it is CV63 with a valid range between 1 & 192 with a default 180 setting.... the same as V4.0.

The common theme that is emerging seems to be that Loksound Master Volume is CV63.

As you have a Select, make sure that the loco you want to volume adjust is the ONLY DCC DEVICE connected to the Select track output. This includes removing any other DCC powered devices such as Accessory Decoders and lighting products.

Thanks for your reply Paul,

As you say, the master volume is at cv 63 which I did find but really was after the seperate sound files.. at present the engine volume is too low, but the horns are crazy loud so I really needed to balance them out as easily done with the Hornby HST decoders.

My main question was why did Loksound make it so difficult to perform a simple task?

I am considering returning the decoders to Roads and Rails because it just doesn't do what I want it to do.. Both horns have to be set to 'on' and don't turn off.. it just keeps blaring out until I can re-enter F2 to 'off' its ridiculous .. can this be changed with the Select? I know a lot of you don't rate the Select, but it's all I can afford without re-mortgaging the house..!

To answer your supplementary questions with any authority regarding balancing sounds. The forum would need to know which specific Loksound decoder model you have installed. As my previous reply indicated, there are multiple manuals available to download and the appropriate one will need to be identified so it can be read and your query researched.

On page 17 of the Select 1.5 manual (also applicable to version 1.6) the text copied below is published in the third paragraph from the top.

"On the Select once the function key is enabled it remains “ON.” If a specific sound is designed to play once for a predetermined duration, the function key will need to be pressed again to return the Select to “function off” status before it is possible to activate the same function again."

This text clearly states that the Select functions activate as a toggle and need to be sent twice to first switch on then switch off. This is what I said in my first reply. It is not configurable and is a fixed limitation of the Select functions.

You mentioned in your original post that your supplier sent you instructions on how to achieve your requirements, but you did not understand them. If you were to 'copy and paste' them into this thread, then those who know more than you could probably understand them and more importantly convert them into a series of 'step by step' instructions that you might be able to follow more easily.

Noting that the Select can not read a CV, so if the volume adjustment methodolgy requires any CV to be read as part of the volume adjusting task, then you won't be able to complete the volume adjustment using a Select.

Sorry, it's the Loksound V5 ESU

Before you change any of the volume control CVs, please make sure that the CV 32 is set to 1! As explained earlier, CV 32 is used as an index selection register to distinguish between the real function of CV 257 – 512. ??

I don't know how to send a picture of the sheet I was sent on here but its just numbers that mean nothing to me ..

Key Function Sound slots Volume CVs Volume values

F1 .....Engine ....1 .....259 ....128

F2......Horn....... 23 ...435 ....128

F3..... Horn....... 24... 443 ....128

F4 .....Buffers.... 4.... 283 ....100

... Continues to F24

Select can only write CVs up to 255. I have never seen any decoders with CVs above that number, but for the horns it looks like you need to set CVs 435 and 443 to a value much less than 128 which appears to be their default.

As Paul says Select functions have to be switched on and then off again. Compounded by the fact the selection state is only on screen briefly ax you make the selection. There is no lasting screen indicator of which functions are selected.

This is not going to help you to resolve your volume issue, but it may help you to understand why.

The meaning of the numbers in the table.

The 'Sound Slot' column can be ignored.

The 'Volume CV' column is the CV number that is applicable to the sound you want to adjust. So for example the 'Engine' sound is CV259 and the F2 & F3 horns are CVs 435 & 443 respectively.

The third and last 'Volume Value' column is the volume. For the three CVs mentioned above this value is 128 which is at the maximum value.

So you can't increase the 'Engine' sound volume because it is already at maximum. All you could do is decrease the 'F2 & F3 Horns' volume, then increase the 'Master Volume' CV63, but only if it is already not at maximum.

To find the current CV63 'Master Volume' value you would have to read it, which you can't do with a Select, or just write 128 to CV63 blind to see if the volume increases, but this would increase the horn volumes as well as the engine, if the 'Master Volume' was not already at 128.

If the 'Master Volume' did increase, then you would have to lower the 'F2 & F3' horn volume CVs 435 & 443 to something less than 128. But to do that, you have two further issues that the Select will not allow you to do.

Firstly you have to write the value of 1 to CV32, but you would have to read the value of CV32 first, so that you could restore its original value after altering the horn volumes. The Select does not read CVs, so you cant do that.

Secondly, you would have to write lower than 128 values to CVs 435 & 443. Again the Select can not write to any CV above 255.

So in conclusion, you can't resolve your issue with a Select even if it has firmware 1.6 or 2.0 installed in it.

Note: Some decoders that have CVs above 255 accept a value in a lower CV that can be used to shift the 1-256 range to the 257-512 range so that you can send a lower CV number value to change the CV of a higher numbered one to support controllers like the Select that have a limited CV range. At first I thought this might be what CV32 was doing, but reading the V5 manual seems to indicate that CV32 has a completely different function.

So you either:

• Live with what you have got.
  • Find someone or model shop with a controller that is capable of doing it for you.
  • Or as you have already indicated you would do, return the decoders and get something less sophisticated.

P.S. When you wrote "Sorted thanks to the younger member of the family.." I assume you meant the posting of the image was sorted, not that your issue was sorted. At first I was not sure if my reply was worth writing as your phrase made me think the issue might have been sorted. Or at the very least you now understood the meaning of the data in the table.

Afternoon both,

Thanks for your knowledgable replies .. having slept on this and reading what you both say .. I'm starting to grasp the situation and 'get' the problems and limitations of the Select.

Pretty much in total agreement of your summing up Paul except the returning of the Loksound decoder.. compared to the Hornby, the rev up and pull away is so much better... They're in my possession and payed for, so really, need to research which entry level controller next on the never ending list.

P.S.

Yes, when I wrote 'sorted' I did mean that that was in regards the uploading of 'help chart' so thankyou for taking the time with your reply, it definitely was worth it.

Cheers Daz

If you are sticking with the ESU decoder then the sound slot column only becomes of use if you have an ESU Lokprogrammer hooked up to an ESU decoder tester. They are used to alter various sound profile build parameters in the decoder in conjunction with a free download ESU application on your PC. That app would also allow you to refine the decoder CV settings and test them live. Your Select would then still be fully useable to run the loco.

Any drawbacks - £35-40 for the decoder tester plus £130-140 for the programmer.

forum_image_65afcd101b353.thumb.png.38d76c480493ce69477321c904aad8d3.png

I use an Hornby elink and it does everything I need. I think it's something to consider you can read and write cvs and I think you'll probably be able to do what you want although I'm not sure about cv values above 255, someone else here may probably know more than me I'm a bit of a novice myself.

If you look on ebay they often go quite cheaply but you need to make sure you get the CD as well, or brand new from Amazon they are £84.99 maybe even cheaper if you shop around.

Only thing is you would need an old laptop or possibly a tablet I'm not sure about the tablet so you'd have to check on that. Hope this helps.

@train Mad
I'm not sure about cv values above 255, someone else here may probably know more than me I'm a bit of a novice myself.

Railmaster software can read & write locomotive CVs up to CV1023 (reference for this statement is Page 4 of the RM manual).

@train Mad
Only thing is you would need an old laptop or possibly a tablet I'm not sure about the tablet

Railmaster will not run on an Apple IOS nor Android tablet. Any tablet style device has to be running the Windows OS.

RM does support hand held throttles on Android & IOS, but RM still needs to be running on a Windows platform to act as 'Master' and it will be the Windows platform that will be reading & writing CVs.

Yes it is. Choice of DC or DCC to power the layout too. See the sticky in the HM | DCC forum for recommended supplies.

And no it’s not. Still some bugs in the system meaning some unreliability. Often you will. Need to use a Power Bank to get reliable operation. Room for it in in most OOs, difficult in all TT:120.