Decoder for Smokey Joe ?

I converted my one to DCC. I used a 6 pin Pecket socket (allows you to easily swap back to DC) and a Zimo MX616 decoder. The MX616 decoder is not around at the moment so you might need to use a MN170. Alternatively there is a Train O Matic 6 pin decoder that works well. I did find that with some six pin decoders they didn't work very well with the motor, the ones I suggested do. The other thing I added was the LaisDCC "Stay alive" which helped a lot. The big thing to remember if you use "Stay Alive" on the Train O Matic there is a CV you have to set to make it work properly. On the Zimo there is a CV but its default is set at 30 seconds whereas the Train O Matics is set to a lot less than a second.

I converted my one to DCC. I used a 6 pin Pecket socket (allows you to easily swap back to DC) and a Zimo MX616 decoder. The MX616 decoder is not around at the moment so you might need to use a MN170. Alternatively there is a Train O Matic 6 pin decoder that works well. I did find that with some six pin decoders they didn't work very well with the motor, the ones I suggested do. The other thing I added was the LaisDCC "Stay alive" which helped a lot. The big thing to remember if you use "Stay Alive" on the Train O Matic there is a CV you have to set to make it work properly. On the Zimo there is a CV but its default is set at 30 seconds whereas the Train O Matics is set to a lot less than a second.

Many thanks Colin 👍🏼

The trouble with the Hornby decoders is they don't have a very high current rating 0.5 verses 0.8 amp for a Zimo and Train o Matic. The 0.5 amp might be a bit marginal for one of these motors. The Hornby decoder is also usually more expensive that the ones I quoted.

The trouble with the Hornby decoders is they don't have a very high current rating 0.5 verses 0.8 amp for a Zimo and Train o Matic. The 0.5 amp might be a bit marginal for one of these motors. The Hornby decoder is also usually more expensive that the ones I quoted.

Noted, Thanks Colin….I’ll probably go for the Zimo.

I don't disagree that there are certainly better specified decoders around. To assist others who come across this thread in the future, I've fitted the standard Hornby decoder to many variants of the 0-4-0 can motors over the last +10 years and they are more than capable of the job, especially if you can pick up a discounted R7274.

I converted my 0-4-0s with standard 8 pin decoders. Smokey Joe hasn't been converted yet, but thats what is in my Blue caledonian railway tank, which is similar. Train work has been halted at the moment as I am focussing on Permanent way and S&T, so converting locos isn't high on the priority list.

XYZ