Build them or keep them.

81F

During the early 1990s, I bought a load of Airfix Railway wagon kits to build for my model railway and stored them away and totally forgotten them.

However, I have now found them and although the boxes and paperwork have yellowed with age are wondering whether it would be better to build them or to save them and purchase new versions now made by Dapol?

The same also applies to a couple of old Airfix Aircraft kits.

• 2 months later...
On 13/04/2024 at 18:18, inkpen said:

i donate finshed models to a number of charity shops where, I'm told, they sell well.

Interesting.  I thought built plastic models were not viewed highly on the second hand market (eBay, other flea markets, charity shops) as people want to build their own.

After some debate about my stash with my wife, I took a number of my older kits to the local Men’s Shed. The boxed kits hardly sold at all, so I decided to make a few and put them in the window as well. To my surprise, the made kits have been relatively popular with several selling. 

This achieves three things. 1. I get to make some of the old kits I had never made before; 2. The stash grows smaller; 3. Peace returns to the Thomas household. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dominic Thomas said:

After some debate about my stash with my wife, I took a number of my older kits to the local Men’s Shed. The boxed kits hardly sold at all, so I decided to make a few and put them in the window as well. To my surprise, the made kits have been relatively popular with several selling. 

That’s amazing .. I’m now wondering if I’ve a Men’s Shed near me who’d be interested in the same 🤔