Layout ideas for those with no space for a permanent oval

Moccasin

There are many, including me, who currently have no space for a permanent loop/roundy-round layout and with more new locomotives arriving soon with couplings at both ends, as well as new tank locomotives apparently on their way, end-to-end layouts become more feasible.

I have a small modular baseboard-in a-box from Scalemodelscenery.co.uk which at 1100mm x 220mm is small even for an end to end but could be extended to around 1550mm x 220mm  or even 2200mm x 220mm (baseboard in two boxes!) that could sit on a shelf or windowsill. Floating shelves are another possibility for lightweight baseboards (either attached to a wall or stored upright in a corner.

These small, narrow baseboards might suit a small freight yard, heritage railway, motive power depot or urban/country terminus. A version of the famous Minories layout might even be possible. 

Does anyone else have any thoughts on this?

Edited by Moccasin
spelling
  • Like 1

As I eluded to in another post, I am working on something currently that would translate well into a small end to end board, utilise stock that is currently available and has a wide era appeal. Lots of potential to add detail and develop the scene. something like this can later be integrated into a bigger layout in time. 

• Like 1

I think this is what TT was made for in some respects. The more I design a loop layout it becomes as large as my previous OO layouts and that wasn’t what attracted me. I want something that is just as effective as a display for my models as it is fun to run so I will be really interested in people’s thoughts on this.
Having read a lot of modelling magazines in the last year I’ve seen a lot of the show circuit ones are portable end to ends that add on fiddle yards - that sounds great for me as the main module could be on a shelf and taken down for running with fiddle yards if needed. 

15 minutes ago, Rallymatt said:

As I eluded to in another post, I am working on something currently that would translate well into a small end to end board, utilise stock that is currently available and has a wide era appeal. Lots of potential to add detail and develop the scene. something like this can later be integrated into a bigger layout in time. 

Thanks @Rallymatt that sounds ideal - does Tanfield have any A3s or A4s? 😀

This is almost identical to my own situation. I was unable to have a large board, so went with a small shelf style idea just to “taste-test” the new scale. Having done a single board (also about 1.2m x 0.25) I then spotted that it could be stored in my garage window sill. And so of course I now have four boards….! But yes, try a shunting layout for sure. I have been pleasantly surprised how well TT works for shunting. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Moccasin said:

Thanks @Rallymatt that sounds ideal - does Tanfield have any A3s or A4s? 😀

Haven’t been in ages! Heard them playing yesterday while out on bike… actually off bike pulling tacks out tyre… Layout idea doesn’t specifically involve the bigger engines 

Here is another photo, from the very beginning, with two Really Useful Boxes 22l which houses it under my bed. Whole layout gives me just under 150cm of length with 20cm depth. And space under the baseboard is just enough for HM6000/6010 modules! 

PXL_20230911_174122450.jpg

• Like 1

The boards I have are the other format but similar - single set at 1100mm long but slightly taller and wider. Good to see the urban setting. Are you intending a fiddle yard/storage area through the tunnel mouth or is that just an implied "rest of the world?

@MoccasinPotentially in the future (once more space is available) one track will be going to fiddle yard, and the other connecting to the oval (yes, I've spent countless hours in AnyRail planning future expansion even before I finished the layout). But for now it is only as it is. But still it was/is such an adventure! My first proper model railway layout! 

Of course once HST is released by Hornby I'll start setting up whole oval of tracks once again 😅

• Haha 1

For me the biggest issue was to make sure that all track pieces were aligned with each other across baseboards AND with edges of baseboards. You can notice that I have 3 points just on the joint between two halves. Even with track aligners it was one of the biggest headaches. And of course making sure that electric connectivity was spot on for short wheelbase locomotives! I still have some issues (especially on double slip) with class 08 but once 6 pin decoders are available (together with power banks) there will be no problems (longer locomotives have no problem with traversing all layout)!

Board joints should have minimal tracks crossing them and avoid points or curves like the plague.

At crossing points run your track across with these copper clad sleepers soldered to the rails, then cut the rails after securing the rail ends. Note the copper is scored thru' for isolation.

IMG_1429.jpeg

IMG_1434.jpeg

• Like 1

Oh yes, but unfortunately in my case it was necessary to place those points next to the edge. But I agree, it was real pain in the back! I used those small track aligners from Model Tech. They are essentially beginner friendly versions of what you did 96RAF. 

PXL_20230918_150720275.jpg

4 minutes ago, MikeMart said:

Oh yes, but unfortunately in my case it was necessary to place those points next to the edge. But I agree, it was real pain in the back! I used those small track aligners from Model Tech. They are essentially beginner friendly versions of what you did 96RAF. 

PXL_20230918_150720275.jpg

I couldn't use those as my removable section is a slide drawer, rather than a drop in / hinged arrangement.

All helpful stuff. Avoiding points and curves on joints was something I'd appreciated and having an L-shaped layout with these modular boards was deemed to be a step too far - the width is insufficient to accommodate a 90 deg bend on one board. I've not ruled it out completely, but it would mean creating an L-shaped board or larger square piece. Probably something for phase 10 (with phases 1-6 being to actually put track to plywood)

Changing to a slightly different tack but on the same subject, what are views on point control when planning a new layout?

I envisage using HM7000 point control when that comes available but appreciate that may be a while. I don’t really want to go down a path and regret it later (in terms of abortive cost or constraining future options).

Should I maybe think about drilling holes to allow retrofitting beneath the board as  new options come available or just go ahead now?

I presume there’s no prospect of Hornby launching TT120 & HM7000 compatible point motors any time soon?!

Apologies if I’ve conflated different issues here. I have struggled to understand the options thus far. 

Edited by Moccasin
Clarity, as usual!

Hi Moccasin

You can use the HM700 app for point control already. It is already a live feature.

To do so you need:

• suitable point motors
  • HM6010 accessory units, each of which can power up to four switching operations. 

I have used a 6010 with a small fiddle yard and it operates 6 points - the reason it manages 6 is that two sets are facing each other so can be switched simultaneously, using the same output. 

I have also used plain peco solenoid style point motors. Provided they are centred correctly they work well. Ideally yes it would be good to see some point motors with their ‘throw’ set to TT120, but for now it seems to work well this way. I do not think you can use the HM6010 with servo style motors but others will be able to confirm that. 

• Like 1

If there is any chance at all you will want to use motorised points, I’d plan for it now and drill some holes and ensure positioning of points allows later motor fitment, using a drill under and already installed point is a nerve wracking experience no one needs! There are a few options for point control, the Peco Twistloc system works perfectly with Hornby points as long as you increase the size of the hole in the baseboard to that needed on the Peco points. Dodge has a few videos up showing it working. If you are using a Select/Elite and have the dongle you will be able to operate various accessory controllers and in turn the points via the App. I think I saw Rob say that isn’t fully released on the App though, but HM6010 operation is already there and working. 

• Like 1