Advice please!

I had my Airfix Club box delivered yesterday, will probably build the Spitfire first as I haven't modelled in a very long time and it looks the easiest out of the 2!

Just need a bit of advice with something I've seen on the instructions, there is a clear window piece that goes just behind the cockpit canopy, but over that will go the transfer for the invasion stripes for which there is no gap for the window piece to be seen? Has anyone built the model yet, and if so, what did you do?

Spitfire.jpg

• Like 1

I haven't buit that specific kit, but If it were me building it, I would mask the clear part and paint the full width of the invasion stripes in white then mask the white when it has dried in order to paint the black stripes.

Alternatively, one could paint the white and then cut the black parts out of the white decal strip and fix those.

Suggest you wait a day or two perhaps someone has built that specific kit and can offer other suggestions. 

• Like 1

Wow @Chris-548826 it looks like Airfix have messed up there as it’s obvious they’ve included a hole on the bottom but not side!

I would go along with @Sailorman though and try painting the stripes. You’ll find the standard 6mm Tamiya masking tape is close to the perfect size for a 1:72 D-Day stripe. I also find applying such large decals more challenging than masking and painting, so give it a go 👍

• 1 month later...

I havn't built this kit either but just checking if the glass transparency is applied from outside?

if it is you could leave it off, apply the decal, then cut the decal around the hole and finally when all has dried fit the transparency.