Hornby Flying Scotsman Front Bogie Repair

Firehawk

Hi All,

My son has a flying scotsman and the front bogie has fallen off. Hornby sent me a replacement part but I can't make heads or tails of how to fix and get the new bogie attached to the train. I got a screw that I'm not even sure where it goes.

Does anyone have an instructions or seen any good YouTube videos on how to fix the front bogie?

Thanks

FH

I'm not sure how much the design has changed over the decades.  Do you know how old your model is, or at the very least is is an old model with the motor in the loco and shiny wheels, a model with the motor in the tender, or a more recent model with blackened wheels?   Maybe post a clear photo or two of the underside of what you have and the parts you've been sent?
It is usually a case of a screw to attach the "arm" of the bogie to the chassis block so that it is still free to move from side to side. 

Edited by ntpntpntp

Did Hornby send you the bogie with the bracket attached? If it came with the bracket there is a hole in the centre of the chassis in front of the front driving wheels. If it didn't come with a bracket, I need to know what Flying Scotsman it is, the bogie mount is different between the Railroad version and the non Railroad ones. There is a thread on this forum about the same subject. A photo would help.

There are two sorts of bogie for the later models, those that were made after the tender drive models. They both attach in the same place. The big difference is in how the bogie is attached to it and generally this is what causes most confusion. I even think the tender driven models attach in the same place. Now we know Hornby supplied the part so it has to be a late model. The photo is of the super detailed version, on the Railroad version the bolt is the other way round. So as I said we need a photo of what bits the person who posted the subject has. Incidentally the one in the photo is bent, it should be flat against the chassis. Funny I have just been fixing an A3 I got off Rails that was broken 

I was thinking the retaining screw had either come loose, or had become loosened - perhaps to indicate the mounting.

That slotted T-bracket should be tight in-between the cylinders, the bogie sliding and pivoting to permit it to negotiate the curves.

Al.

Sorry for the delay in responding. It's been a busy week. 

The Train is the Flying Scotsman R1255. The bracket was attached and fell off. Hornby sent me a new one but I'm struggling to get that one put together right.  I don't have a lot of model train fixing experience, though this is more my son. 

The photos were a huge help. Thank you 

The Service Sheet exploded diagram for this type of loco may help you.  Go to the 'Support' drop-down menu, selecting Product Support then Service Sheets and Hornby, then in the search box enter R1167.  This should bring up a link to Service Sheet 380B which is the closest sheet yet published to your loco in set R1255.

• Like 1

I hate to have to say this but it isn't actually rocket science to put it back together. The photo that LesXRN put up and everyone endorsed, probably added to the confusion. I imagine the bogie we are talking about is the Railroad version, so what you do is unscrew the bogie bracket screw and pull off the bracket. On the Railroad version the bolt goes in the bracket so that the head is above the slot with the bend of the bracket uppermost. Now some bogies have a nylon washer and spring, some don't. If it has a nylon washer place this on the bolt that is protruding from the the bracket, now add the spring. Put the m2 nut in the bogie and hold it in with you finger or black tack or something to stop it falling out . Now holding the bracket with the bolt on screw it into the bogie. This is a bit tricky as the spring often falls off. As I said in my first post a photo of the bits you have would be very useful. Now you have it attached to the bogie bracket screw the bracket back onto the chassis. There is a picture of the bogie on Peters Spares website of the Tornedo bogie (virtually the same as the Flying Scotsman) fully assembled.

7 minutes ago, ColinB said:

I hate to have to say this but it isn't actually rocket science to put it back together.

You don’t have to put a condescending comment in front of an otherwise extremely helpful post - you simply chose to! 🤦‍♂️🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, LTSR_NSE said:

You don’t have to put a condescending comment in front of an otherwise extremely helpful post - you simply chose to! 🤦‍♂️🤷‍♂️

Perhaps but it isn't that difficult and compared to some of the posts I receive from you lot, quite tame. I asked for a photo of the parts issued to them via Hornby so I could work out which bogie they had. No response only a photo of a different model with a different bogie. There is also another post on this forum that explains all this and the guy was extremely happy for the explanation, so I will leave it at that. I think it was only a week ago.

Respondents to this thread are reminded of the guidelines.  Please keep language polite and your posts constructive. It would also help if there was some recognition of the fact that skill levels vary. R-

2 minutes ago, Going Spare said:

Perhaps, like me, the OP has no knowledge of how and/or the means to post a photograph?  We are not all tech-savvy in all areas.  And for that reason, I thought the Service Sheet might be useful.

Well they could have said. The issue is we don't know what parts Hornby sent them. On frequent occasions I have received the wrong part by Hornby. If by chance they got issued a super detailed bogie instead of the Railroad one the bolt would be wrong. If I remember rightly the bolts are not interchangeable. Some bogies come with the bracket and bolt some don't, so if you tried fitting a superdetailed bogie to a Railroad setup that would explain the issue.

12 minutes ago, ColinB said:

I asked for a photo of the parts issued to them via Hornby so I could work out which bogie they had. No response only a photo of a different model with a different bogie. 

Colin

I've quite a bit of respect for you. You possess terrific knowledge.  But you simply cannot be that unaware of your surroundings.  As indicated last time, the photographs were not intended for you.

To misrepresent, for a second time, what LesXRN posted is [redacted].  LesXRN posted his photographs for Firehawk.  NOT FOR YOU.  LesXRN was trying to help Firehawk, not answer your query.  You could acknowledge that Colin, so that we do not go round and round.

To claim that the photographs were wrong is okay.  They applied to a model that Firehawk doesn't seem to have.  Firehawk didn't identify the model. LesXRN could not have known the R number, since Firehawk did not publish it.  

Bee

To be definite, I put in [redacted] instead of the choice words intended, not the moderators.

Just now, What About The Bee said:

Colin

I've quite a bit of respect for you. You possess terrific knowledge.  But you simply cannot be that unaware of your surroundings.  As indicated last time, the photographs were not intended for you.

To misrepresent, for a second time, what LesXRN posted is [redacted].  LesXRN posted his photographs for Firehawk.  NOT FOR YOU.  LesXRN was trying to help Firehawk, not answer your query.  You could acknowledge that Colin, so that we do not go round and round.

To claim that the photographs were wrong is okay.  They applied to a model that Firehawk doesn't seem to have.  Firehawk didn't identify the model. LesXRN could not have known the R number, since Firehawk did not publish it.  

Bee

To be definite, I put in [redacted] instead of the choice words intended, not the moderators.

Unfortunately the photo just adds confusion, I suspect Firehawk has a Railroad model and so all they want to see is a photo of it attached to a model similar to the one they own. There is a fundamental difference in how the superdetailed bogie attaches to the bracket as opposed to the Railroad one. Also if lets say the user has lost the bogie bolt and the new bogie issued to them doesn't have a bolt included, again that could be the issue. I have built about 10, A3 from wrecks and sometimes when I order a bogie it comes with the bracket sometimes it doesn't. Hornby's part number only applies to the bogie, the bracket is one of those items that has no part number. I can order two of the same part from Lendons sometimes it comes with a bracket sometimes it doesn't. Often I buy a Tornedo bogie just for the bracket. So that is why it is so important that we know what parts they have. I can probably upload photos of both types of bogie, I have lots of spares if this is of any help. As I said there is thread that covers this anyway, for some reason Flying Scotsman front bogies if bought in a set from Amazon seem to fall off.

Thank you, I can see your problem. Hornby have supplied you with the bogie plus bracket, so you need to remove the old bracket. On the photo second from the bottom the second screw from the right, the one right in front of those front wheels needs to undone. The old bracket will now come off. You probably need to move it backwards slightly because there is a plastic tab from the plastic cylinders (those black things in front of the bogie bracket). There should be enough room to move it back to release it. Be careful you don't want to snap the plastic off. Once released from the plastic tab, it should drop out. You don't need this anymore, but don't bin it they are gold dust, but save the screw you need it for the new bogie. Now with the new bogie as shown in the bottom photo attach the bracket so that the rectangular cut out feeds into that same plastic tab, now comes the tricky bit screw the bogie into the chassis using the screw and hole where the old one attached. I say tricky because the screw is small and sometimes falls into loco or anywhere where you don't want it to. You can make it easier by either using a magnetised screwdriver or something like a sliver of black tack on the head so you can attach it to a screwdriver head. Hope that helps, I have just done it on mine and there is enough room to move the bogie back to release it from the tab.

Just for your information it is a Railroad bogie because the head of the bogie bolt is at the top, rather than at the bottom which is the case for the super detailed one.

Edited by ColinB